Help!! Trying to figure out breed!

It has green legs, only easter eggers have that.
Those green feet do have me puzzled, because that should not be possible from any combination of the breeds listed.

But green feet are NOT only found on Easter Eggers. Plenty of mixed-breed chickens have green feet, and it has nothing to do with what color eggs they lay.

Likely a mix, as you've figured out.
I agree there.

an isa brown
ISA Browns are hybrids. Unless this breeder has the correct parent stock to cross, they are not hatching actual ISA Brown chicks.

Hatching the eggs laid by ISA Brown hens, even with an ISA Brown rooster, will not give more ISA Browns. It will give mixed-breed chicks. The biggest difference: ISA Browns can be sexed by the color of their down when they hatch, but that does not work on the next generation of chicks.

Cross bred chick - possibly from an Isa Brown hen.
I agree.

Those green feet do have me puzzled, because that should not be possible from any combination of the breeds listed.

But green feet are NOT only found on Easter Eggers. Plenty of mixed-breed chickens have green feet, and it has nothing to do with what color eggs they lay.

I agree there.

ISA Browns are hybrids. Unless this breeder has the correct parent stock to cross, they are not hatching actual ISA Brown chicks.

Hatching the eggs laid by ISA Brown hens, even with an ISA Brown rooster, will not give more ISA Browns. It will give mixed-breed chicks. The biggest difference: ISA Browns can be sexed by the color of their down when they hatch, but that does not work on the next generation of chicks.

I agree.

I know they could be crossed with RIR roo. Do you think it looks like an Orpington mix or isa brown mix? At first I was set on Orpington but if it is a true isa brown then I thought the white could mean isa brown roo. The white doesn’t truly show on the photos. The feathers are very white and have one or two black specks and then the brown you see in the photo coming in.

I know they could be crossed with RIR roo. Do you think it looks like an Orpington mix or isa brown mix? At first I was set on Orpington but if it is a true isa brown then I thought the white could mean isa brown roo. The white doesn’t truly show on the photos. The feathers are very white and have one or two black specks and then the brown you see in the photo coming in.
Also the other chick I got from the breeder has green feet as well. I was curious about that compared to my other 4 chicks with yellow feet.

RIR rooster with ISA Brown hen could produce a chick that looks like that.
RIR rooster with Buff Orpington might produce a chick that looks like that, although I think less likely than the ISA Brown hen.

If it was a true ISA Brown, I think it would be female. Males hatch yellow and females hatch gold or red. Then both genders get white wing feathers, and as they grow older both genders get both brown feathers and white feathers. The brown and the white are arranged differently on the males vs. the female ISA Browns, and I think this looks more like the female pattern.

But since I'm fairly sure it is not a true ISA Brown, I wouldn't try to guess the gender of that chick from the coloring.

Also the other chick I got from the breeder has green feet as well. I was curious about that compared to my other 4 chicks with yellow feet.
Green feet are fairly common among mixed-breed chicks. But they should not come from any mix that includes only yellow-footed and white-footed chicken breeds (like the ones you listed.) I think there is another breed somewhere in the family history of those chicks, although it could be a few generations ago.

RIR rooster with ISA Brown hen could produce a chick that looks like that.
RIR rooster with Buff Orpington might produce a chick that looks like that, although I think less likely than the ISA Brown hen.

If it was a true ISA Brown, I think it would be female. Males hatch yellow and females hatch gold or red. Then both genders get white wing feathers, and as they grow older both genders get both brown feathers and white feathers. The brown and the white are arranged differently on the males vs. the female ISA Browns, and I think this looks more like the female pattern.

But since I'm fairly sure it is not a true ISA Brown, I wouldn't try to guess the gender of that chick from the coloring.

Green feet are fairly common among mixed-breed chicks. But they should not come from any mix that includes only yellow-footed and white-footed chicken breeds (like the ones you listed.) I think there is another breed somewhere in the family history of those chicks, although it could be a few generations ago.
Thank you for all the info!!

Back
Top Bottom