Help! Twisting neck when eating? Can’t breathe?

Pcuda

Chirping
Sep 7, 2021
Hello! My black copper maran got attacked by my dog the other day and lost some skin and feathers in her back but she’s been healing and feeling well, she’s the top hen and has kept her good attitude and ate and acted fine for the last 2 days since she got attacked but today I noticed her standing weird and being quiet, hasn’t made a single noise except heavy breathing or ragged noises and her stomach Is making gurgling noises. She can’t eat without twisting her neck towards the right after eating (pictures attached) and then doing some weird open mouth movements. Any idea what’s happening here? I gave her some vitamins to help but idk what’s happening. This was sudden.

@Weeg @Eggcessive @theoldchick @coach723 @azygous

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    442.3 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 5637B685-9220-4F62-862D-EC3E71497DF0.jpeg
    5637B685-9220-4F62-862D-EC3E71497DF0.jpeg
    526.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 27778D28-19D2-4E84-9F1B-5B3D2D892A8A.jpeg
    27778D28-19D2-4E84-9F1B-5B3D2D892A8A.jpeg
    356.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 2A9E3A4A-9E0B-4112-AC05-5B4DEDECE3CA.jpeg
    2A9E3A4A-9E0B-4112-AC05-5B4DEDECE3CA.jpeg
    333.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 5F30F01C-73AC-4C9B-9C59-AB9CB3D0364A.jpeg
    5F30F01C-73AC-4C9B-9C59-AB9CB3D0364A.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 8E7D4D8E-7D80-4DFD-BFF2-972AF8A119AE.jpeg
    8E7D4D8E-7D80-4DFD-BFF2-972AF8A119AE.jpeg
    473 KB · Views: 2
  • BA2F0A2B-BE70-4763-BE4D-34917DACDC96.jpeg
    BA2F0A2B-BE70-4763-BE4D-34917DACDC96.jpeg
    472.7 KB · Views: 2
Have you checked her crop? An uncomfortable crop will cause these symptoms.

Another possibility is internal injuries from the attack. Have you give her a thorough exam to be sure she doesn't have puncture wounds you aren't aware of that could cause infection?

Did you treat her for shock after the attack? She could be suffering from delayed shock. Give her Gatoraid or sugar water with a pinch of salt and baking soda, and see if that perks her up.

Have you checked her crop? An uncomfortable crop will cause these symptoms.

Another possibility is internal injuries from the attack. Have you give her a thorough exam to be sure she doesn't have puncture wounds you aren't aware of that could cause infection?

Did you treat her for shock after the attack? She could be suffering from delayed shock. Give her Gatoraid or sugar water with a pinch of salt and baking soda, and see if that perks her up.
Her crop is soft, seems like she can’t eat much today but I know it was full yesterday and the day before. She did not appear in shock, I had another one who was in shock for 2 days and is finally feeling better. No other injuries that I have found and have checked her throughly. When I massage her crop her body makes gurgling noises like she’s having bad digestion and it just gurgles. I can try the sugar water.

Get your hands on her and examine her for wounds. The behavior you describe is usually seen in crop discomfort. Give her a good exam and let us know what you find.

Get your hands on her and examine her for wounds. The behavior you describe is usually seen in crop discomfort. Give her a good exam and let us know what you find.
What am I looking for in crop discomfort? And I just check that it’s not injured?

The gurgling could be a ruptured air sac or air trapped in the crop.

What am I looking for in crop discomfort? And I just check that it’s not injured?
Checked her all over again and crop area and neck and belly all looks injury free, the only injury is the back of her by her tail.

has kept her good attitude and ate and acted fine for the last 2 days since she got attacked but today I noticed her standing weird and being quiet, hasn’t made a single noise except heavy breathing or ragged noises and her stomach Is making gurgling noises. She can’t eat without twisting her neck towards the right after eatin
Adrenalin staves off pain directly after an incident.. but speaking relative to a car accident and even hard work outs that I've experienced. the next day can be a little sore with the third day being yet even MORE sore..

Maybe she has a bit of whiplash setting in? Separate from the gurgling noises.

Her crop is soft, seems like she can’t eat much today but I know it was full yesterday and the day before. She did not appear in shock, I had another one who was in shock for 2 days and is finally feeling better. No other injuries that I have found and have checked her throughly. When I massage her crop her body makes gurgling noises like she’s having bad digestion and it just gurgles. I can try the sugar water.
How's her droppings? Is she passing any?

Back
Top Bottom