erinolivia19

In the Brooder
Oct 20, 2020
Hello, everyone! I have never posted anything on here before, so I hope someone will see this PLEASE HELP. I have two 6 month old silkies, who are both displaying respiratory stress, one more than the other. They are both quarantined as well. The first bird(the more sick one) has been sneezing, open mouth breathing when it hasn’t been hot or too cold, and swinging her neck around a bit. She actually layed her first egg but has not layed another(it’s been about 2 weeks now). The other bird we had taken to the vet for a bacterial skin disease and she took antibiotics for that for 2 weeks. She occasionally gasps for air but neither of the chickens sound gunky. We have a 4 bird flock and keep their coop very clean, as well as their nesting boxes. They get to go outside the coop and they get tons of fruits and veggies. I hope someone can help to avoid another expensive trip to the vet. I can try to post a video if needed, Anything helps!!!!

Oh also, we have been giving them VetRx by rubbing it on their face, nose and we have put some in their mouth. If you have anymore questions please ask! I really hope someone can help!

A video would be helpful. To post a video upload it to a video platform like Youtube, or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here. Pictures of what they're kept in would be good too.

What antibiotics were they put on? Have you checked inside their mouth for any lesions, or around their nares for discharge, etc?

How often do the hen's sneeze, and gape? Any routine to the sneezing? The symptoms you mentioned, tend to be caused by either an environmental issue such as dusty feed, bedding, pollutants, allergies, ammonia, etc, or something more serious such as a respiratory disease could cause sneezing, and gaping in poultry. Common respiratory disease's in chickens would include Infectious bronchitis (IB), Mycoplasma Galliseptcum, ILT, Coryza, along with a few more. Unlike the environmental problems, where you can correct the causing agent, respiratory diseases have no cure, only supportive care, and antibiotics, and some respiratory diseases such as MG, or Coryza will remain hosts to the birds for the rest of their lives.

If dealing with a respiratory disease, testing can be done by your state or national lab to confirm which disease you're dealing with, so a better treatment plan can be arranged.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
https://zoologix.com/avian/index.htm

VetRX is best not put inside their mouth.

Thank you so much for the reply, I will have to work on getting a video in the morning, but for now I can attach pictures of their regular coop and their quarentine area. During the day, they stay in the caged area and we let them out individually to walk around. At night they each stay in a box with wood shavings. The final two pictures were their regular coop and run before we seperated them.

They do not have any lesions or discharge. The sneezing is irregular but frequent on the sicker one. I don’t quite know for sure but usually 5-10 minutes apart. The sicker one also gapes very frequently, just because she has been breathing with her mouth open as well.

The silkie who is not as sick, was the only one who got antibiotics and she gapes every once in a while, but it used to be more common. The antibiotic was not for anything respiratory and was for a skin bacterial infection around her face, which seems to be cleared up. It was called Clavamox.

Also it has been some what windy but we sheltered them inside whenever we think it’s too cold or windy. It’s between about 62-76 degrees here as well.

I will follow up with that video sometime tomorrow:)

Attachments

• CE83C0F4-F031-4526-9218-2F05C92D72A8.jpeg
    CE83C0F4-F031-4526-9218-2F05C92D72A8.jpeg
    674.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 65E2A1FE-6B28-4CFE-AC46-D9E4094833EE.jpeg
    65E2A1FE-6B28-4CFE-AC46-D9E4094833EE.jpeg
    468.2 KB · Views: 13
  • BA0454D6-9649-4E68-A0C9-B9FD11885497.jpeg
    BA0454D6-9649-4E68-A0C9-B9FD11885497.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 14
  • BA6A3B0C-AA70-4D45-BBC0-65EFD3BA843E.jpeg
    BA6A3B0C-AA70-4D45-BBC0-65EFD3BA843E.jpeg
    606.2 KB · Views: 14
  • F8B2BBAC-84EE-42A1-A8D0-C12AB195E7D6.jpeg
    F8B2BBAC-84EE-42A1-A8D0-C12AB195E7D6.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 14
Thank you so much for the reply, I will have to work on getting a video in the morning, but for now I can attach pictures of their regular coop and their quarentine area. During the day, they stay in the caged area and we let them out individually to walk around. At night they each stay in a box with wood shavings. The final two pictures were their regular coop and run before we seperated them.

They do not have any lesions or discharge. The sneezing is irregular but frequent on the sicker one. I don’t quite know for sure but usually 5-10 minutes apart. The sicker one also gapes very frequently, just because she has been breathing with her mouth open as well.

The silkie who is not as sick, was the only one who got antibiotics and she gapes every once in a while, but it used to be more common. The antibiotic was not for anything respiratory and was for a skin bacterial infection around her face, which seems to be cleared up. It was called Clavamox.

Also it has been some what windy but we sheltered them inside whenever we think it’s too cold or windy. It’s between about 62-76 degrees here as well.

I will follow up with that video sometime tomorrow:)

The video of them gaping, and sneezing would be nice to see.

Depending on the frequency of the symptoms, you may just leave them be, and see if they get better, or if it's very frequent you may start them on an antibiotic. Two years ago around this time, I had more than several birds, gaping, and sneezing. Besides making sure their coop was clean, had plenty of ventilation, etc. I didn't give any antibiotics due to the lack of severe symptoms. After about two weeks they all stopped.

Respiratory diseases like IB can cause frequent sneezing, and often times you'll notice more easily gaping on the roost. Just like all respiratory diseases, there is not an actual cure, only antibiotics, vaccines (for some), and supportive care.

Others may have a different opinion on this, but what I did with mine, and what I would do in your situation, is if their only sneezing/gaping a little bit, just make sure their coop is dust-free, as well as their feed, possibly give them some vitamins, especially ones that contain zinc as that particular mineral helps with their immune response.

If they get worse, or are sneezing/gaping very frequently, and don't look very well, it may be best to start them on an antibiotic like Tylosin, doxycycline, denegard, etc. Or have testing done to confirm which disease you're dealing with, so a better treatment plan can be established.

Once again I appreciate the responses. I attached the video link here and I would say this sneezing has been going on for a week to a week and a half. She sneezes usually within 5 minutes or less of eachother. And in the video you can see that she wiggles her neck a bit as well, do you have any idea what she may be doing? The videoed silkie is the sicker one and I was not able to catch the other one gaping, which I have seen a decrease in(she doesn’t sneeze either). I’m hoping our situation will end positively like yours so I can return them to the main flock.

She is trying to adjust her crop, is what it looks like.

How does her breath smell, could you post pictures of her poop, and could you tell us how her crop feels in the morning? It should be empty.

@Eggcessive , and @Wyorp Rock may be able to help you further.

Sour crop can develop after antibiotic use, as there is no "good bacteria" to keep the bad yeast at bay.

Back
Top Bottom