Help!!! Upperbeak Is Split!!!

bantam_n00b

Songster
9 Years
Apr 17, 2010
Well i went to go feed my chickens earlier today and i picked up one of my roos and i noticed that his upper beak was split at the tip, the split isnt huge and it wasnt like that before. The gap of the split isnt big either and it doesnt go long up the beak i want to say maybe 1/16-1/4 of an inch it mustve just happened within the last few days. he wasnt born like that so its not that. He is about 9 months old. I think he was pecking at the chicken wire or something. But is there anything i can do to make it heal faster? or will it heal back to normal at all? any help is appreciated thanks!

It should heal just fine on its own with no intervention from you. Honestly, you would be causing the bird more stress than it's worth trying to fix it, so just let time take care of it. Maybe provide some concrete blocks/pavers for him to file his beak on.

Good luck.

I think it will probably fix itsself. Maybe a dab of non-pain relief neosporin on the top just in case, but I think its like a fingernail and would grow back together eventually with no problems.

Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Thank you all for your inputs. I was thinking about just leaving it alone also, hopefully the beak will learn the gap between the beak doesnt get bigger. I was also thinking of putting on nail strengthener/grower? Anyone tried this for split beak? i've heard that works but never tried it myself. If i put the grower on i definetely dont want the beak growing too long. Anyways thanks!

I would have suggested super glue as well. This would be just to keep the beak from splitting any further before it healed. You aren't likely to hurt him by doing it. I would apply the super glue weekly until it heals. I have seen beaks that continue to split once damaged. A weekly application would be necessary because the glue would likely wear off from normal chicken behavior. I have never tried the super glue myself but, in theory, it should work well.

Back
Top Bottom