Help/urgent thought BCM had impacted crop, now I'm not sure. (Poo picture attached)

Apr 17, 2022
Southern West Virginia
About 2 days ago I noticed one of my 6 month old BCMs still had a food boob when I opened the coop in the morning. Her crop had not fully emptied overnight. I gave her some coconut oil and started massaging her crop every few hours. She was showing no signs of being uncomfortable or ill. She laid an egg that day and I figured her crop would empty the following night.
Next morning, the crop still has not emptied. It doesn't feel hard at this point but I can feel feed and grit in it. About mid day yesterday I went ahead and pulled her from the run and put her in the garage in the big cage we keep for a sick bay.
She is still acting completely normal. I only offered her water and coconut oil. (I did put a little grit in the cage in case she needed it after being in the run half a day)
I continued crop massages and checked on her frequently. She even laid an egg yesterday evening in the cage and was happily trying to make a little nest to sit on it.
I am having trouble getting her to drink from the small waterer in there but if I offer her water that I have poured into a cap of the bottle she will drink as long as I will stand there and give it to her.
She had one cecal poop after I put her in the cage around noon yesterday and a few small poops. Then this morning she had a big poop (pictured) that did not look like anything I'd seen before. Again, she is still acting fine and the rest of the flock is acting totally normal.
I'm fairly new to chicken keeping. My flock stays in their run, we have too many hawks for my comfort to free range. I feed them all flock, and they have access to grit and oyster shell. They get fresh vegetables often for snacks and meal worm treats 1-2 times a week. Wood chip bedding.
I have never had an issue with my flock until now. Any insight or help is greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

• 20221020_091204.jpg
    20221020_091204.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20221020_091135.jpg
    20221020_091135.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 8
The key here is "acting normal". If her crop being slight full with granular contents in the morning is her only issue, it does not need treatment at this time, just watching.

The poop appears to have undigested grain in it. Is she getting whole grains? Perhaps she's having a problem digesting them.

The key here is "acting normal". If her crop being slight full with granular contents in the morning is her only issue, it does not need treatment at this time, just watching.

The poop appears to have undigested grain in it. Is she getting whole grains? Perhaps she's having a problem digesting them.
I give them Nutrena NatureWise All Flock pellets. I don't give them any scratch or grains extra.

Then it may be undigested pellets I see in the poop photo. You could try wetting the food for her or fermenting it would be even more beneficial.

Back
Top Bottom