HELP... Vent gleet, mites, or bullying

Baylee_baby_

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
Utah
My favorite and best laying hen seems to be having a rough time. First she had vent gleet, and I thought that could be why she was losing feathers so I started putting probiotics in her water. I also gave all the hens diatomaceous earth baths and deep cleaned their coop just in case of mites or lice even though I couldn't find anything on them or in the coop, but now her feathers aren't recovering and honestly look worse. She's got a few spots that appear to be bloody, and I noticed some of my other hens seem to have some bare spots on their backs. It's gotta be bullying right? How do I figure out who's the bully and how do I solve it?:hit

Attachments

• PXL_20230404_234412848.jpg
    PXL_20230404_234412848.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20230404_234353047.jpg
    PXL_20230404_234353047.jpg
    632.8 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230404_234344818.jpg
    PXL_20230404_234344818.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230404_234342181.jpg
    PXL_20230404_234342181.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 7
Do you have a rooster?

Of not, then you have a hen or two that is mounting her and doing some feather picking.

Observe your flock during the day to see who the offender is. Some picking can be during roosting time as well, so take time to check on them after dark.

Feathers that are broken and damaged will not be replaced until she goes through a molt, so you'll just have to wait on that.

Has the vent gleet cleared up?

Do you have a rooster?

Of not, then you have a hen or two that is mounting her and doing some feather picking.

Observe your flock during the day to see who the offender is. Some picking can be during roosting time as well, so take time to check on them after dark.

Feathers that are broken and damaged will not be replaced until she goes through a molt, so you'll just have to wait on that.

Has the vent gleet cleared up?
We haven't had a rooster for a few months now. I may just bring the 4 of them inside to really watch them. They tend to still roam around the property even with a foot of snow on the ground... Weirdos haha. The only feather picking I've noticed is actually from the hen in the pictures my other easter eggers don't have their "beards" anymore and their back sides seem to be missing some feathers. The vent gleet seems to be getting better she started laying again so the probiotics in her water seem to be doing the trick. Is there anything else I can do for the vent gleet to make sure it fully clears up?

Do you have photos of the vent?

Could most of the damage to the feathers have been started when you had the rooster? Just because he's gone doesn't mean the damage will be repaired. Feathers can get worn and torn throughout the year. Sometimes when a rooster is removed from the flock a hen make start to mount other hens as a show of dominance, this can also further damage to feathers in a similar fashion to what rooster damage looks like.

Back
Top Bottom