help weak chicks, no energy, appear to be dying. why and what to do?

firefowl

Songster
6 Years
Dec 31, 2013
Temperate Australia
I've got some 3 day old quail chicks. This morning when I got up to check them they were all zipping around except for 2 of them. They were just laying there, wings splayed, eyes shut and barely moving. Why is that happening and what do I need to do to save them, if possible and stop it happening to the others?

yes I have. they were all purchased from a breeder so they all knew how to eat and drink. my only light is an infrared sauna 4 light setup, I'm pretty sure they are the same as heat lamps. There's definitely plenty of heat as the temp is abput 98oF. I'm actually thinking maybe it's too hot so I've temporarily turned off the light so I can remove a couple of the bulbs when they cool down

Too hot! Also incandescent and infrared lights work differently. incandescent sheds heat just as a byproduct of it being on .the infrared is designed to heat *objects* within its sphere of influence .that is why your hand feels hot when you put it beneath an infrared light. it's not just light being shed By the Light being *on*.
its that the light is designed to heat *objects* in it's sphere of influence.
Lose the Infrareds and by an 85 watt incandescent bulb
Best ,
Karen

they seem to be ok now. After the two that got weak died, one more died after that but it was sudden and I didn't notice any weakness. There are 8 remaining and they seem fine. I've removed two of the infrared globes, now there is only 2 remaining. I will replace the globes with incandescents next time I'm in town

Back
Top Bottom