Help! What attacked my chickens?

Beni

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2017
We got home this evening to find one of our 13 free range chickens, a production red hen, missing except for a pile of red feathers, a pile of feathers around a dead, buff orpington rooster and a feather trail leading to a still alive but in-shock B.O. hen. The hen we found alive had a wound around the ear area and two puncture wounds on her upper back. The rooster was also bleeding from the ear area but was completely uneaten. We had a coyote problem about a year ago but they would snatch one at a time and then run off into the woods. We've never had more than one bird attacked at a time and are at a loss for what the predator could be. I know there are bobcats in the neighboring woods but they haven't ventured into the pastures to this point. Does anyone have thoughts on what it could be?!?!

We got home this evening to find one of our 13 free range chickens, a production red hen, missing except for a pile of red feathers, a pile of feathers around a dead, buff orpington rooster and a feather trail leading to a still alive but in-shock B.O. hen. The hen we found alive had a wound around the ear area and two puncture wounds on her upper back. The rooster was also bleeding from the ear area but was completely uneaten. We had a coyote problem about a year ago but they would snatch one at a time and then run off into the woods. We've never had more than one bird attacked at a time and are at a loss for what the predator could be. I know there are bobcats in the neighboring woods but they haven't ventured into the pastures to this point. Does anyone have thoughts on what it could be?!?!
Pictures of the crime scene will be useful. Your description sounds like a cat sport kill. Cats don't always do sport killings, but they do if bored.

Do you have raccoons or coyotes? That’s been my experience and I have a 4-10 that helps me out. And Possums will get your chickens to

Pictures of the crime scene will be useful. Your description sounds like a cat sport kill. Cats don't always do sport killings, but they do if bored.
Thanks, i'll take some pics once it's light out and post. That's what my husband thought - maybe a cat sport kill. Just the one that's completely missing threw us off.

Do you have raccoons or coyotes? That’s been my experience and I have a 4-10 that helps me out. And Possums will get your chickens to
Thanks - and yes both have been seen in the area but we haven't had a coyote problem in about a year and even then they would only snatch one at a time and then run... never kill more than one and leave dead ones on the scene uneaten. Racoons have been spotted around the house but have never messed with the chickens before - not to say this couldn't be their first go at it....

I had a neighbor’s dog get one of my topknots this afternoon and I had to bury him so I just thought of it. Poor chickies

So sorry!
Any tracks or hair tufts would help, and if bites are from canine teeth, the spacing will help you determine at least the approximate size of the critter.
Dogs or foxes are possible here too.
Raccoons are less likely to catch free ranging birds during the day, but any canine or bobcat could.
Keep your survivors on lockdown until this situation is resolved!
I hope your injured bird can recover too.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom