Help! What gender is this Buff Brahma? Orpington pullets with small amount of black on tail feathers

Farm4Suncee

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
Buff Brahma 16 weeks old

Buff Orpington tail feathers.

Here it is Christmas morning and what do we wake up to? A rooster crow! I thought for a minute was that the neighbors chicken?...oh wait, we're the only ones around here who have chickens...great. We've been out this morning looking over our flock and we think it may be our Standard Buff Brahma, whom we love
sad.png
She/he is 16 weeks old. I didn't want to freak out while they were little as to whether they were male or female and thought I'd just wait and see.. I mean hear. I'm a newbie and learning as I go.

I have two Buff Orpingtons that have a tiny amount of black coloring on their tail feathers but their bodies look like hens, is this coloring normal for pullets or could they too be roos?

Thanks a bunch!

Your Brahma is a rooster.

The black in the tail feathers on your buff Orpingtons doesn't have anything to do with gender, it's called smuttiness, it's just a not desirable trait in the buff coloring, common in hatchery birds.

Merry Christmas!

Your Brahma is a rooster.

The black in the tail feathers on your buff Orpingtons doesn't have anything to do with gender, it's called smuttiness, it's just a not desirable trait in the buff coloring, common in hatchery birds.

Merry Christmas!

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. We were pretty sure you'd all say she would be a he. We're so sad as he is our favorite one, is so very gentle and loves to be held and he just loves my 14 yo son. I'm so happy to hear that the Orpington hens are hens : ) I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom