HELP!!!! What temp should a forced air incubator be at????

Stazia86

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 6, 2009
what is the temperature supposed to be at for forced air incubators?

thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
alright nevermind, i finally found an article that said forced air should be at 99.5 degrees.
Okay, now i have a question about the "plugs"

One person says that on day 18 you put the "plugs" in the holes in the incubator. And another person says you take them out on day 18.

Which on is correct? and why are there even plugs on it to begin with?

The plugs are there to help you regulate oxygen levels (which the chicks/ducks need) and humidity. Plugs in=higher humidity, lower oxygen. Plugs out=lower humidity, higher oxygen.

Basically, you'll have to decide this for yourself, because it varies by situation, and that is why you will hear differing opinions. If your humidity is too low toward the end, you will have serious hatch problems--your babies will stick to the shell and the membrane will dry out and they won't be able to escape. One way to raise humidity, is to put in one or both plugs. Unfortunately, that also reduces oxygen, which the babies have a higher need for at the end of the hatch.

Personally, I leave mine open at the end. They need the air, and the only way to get air is with open plugs. But there is another way to get humidity--add more water evaporation surfaces. You can fill the evaporation pans. If you still don't have enough humidity, you can put damp sponges in the bator. If you've done that as well, and are still having trouble, THEN you might want to consider covering one of the holes--but never both. The chicks MUST breathe--that is even more critical than humidity.

Unless you live in an extremely dry climate, you shouldn't have trouble getting the humidity up using the methods described. Just be careful not to get it TOO high--that causes problems too, because the water condenses on the inside of the shell and can drown the babies as they pip.

Sounds complicated, but it's really not. Good luck!

(Edited for clarity--I had said "remove both plugs" where I meant "put in one or both plugs."

Last edited by a moderator:
I leave the plug that is on the fan end in, and keep the other out. I feel like the plug by the fan will allow to much outside air in and to me it's more difficult to keep the temp steady. I also put something under the corners of the bator to allow the air to circulate. there are air holes in the bottom of the bator. Anyways just my thoughts.

Natalie

Back
Top Bottom