Help. What would you do?

Ceinwyn

Chirping
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Southeast Ohio
Shipped eggs arrived today.
Because of the current heat wave I'm thinking I should let them settle upright in the incubator instead of a cool place.
I'm worried they've already started developing during shipping and I'll mess things up if I let them cool for 24hrs.
Have very little hope for these guys with this heat but don't want to add to the problem now that they're here.
What do you all think?

I do believe that is the current thinking. If its been really hot where you are, I'd just pop them right in.

I don't think any of us REALLY know what is right -- let them set, don't let them set, wash them, don't wash them, etc. We all just try to do our best to figure out what works.

I think part of the problem is that what works for someone might not work for someone else. Furthermore, what works for us one time might not work the next, just too many variables.

But, in this instance, I vote for pop them right in, since it was hot in transit.

Based on Pete's scrambled egg/air cell thread, I think I'd put them in the incubator but not turn them for at least a day, and then check to see how the air cells look and re-evaluate the turner issue.

The last 3 pilgrim eggs I got about 2 weeks ago (has it already been 2 weeks?!!!) had really badly detached air cells, but as of last night, all 3 have veins growing. Still will believe it when I see a healthy gosling pop out of one of them, and I did end up getting both male and female I believe, so I don't really need them if any were to hatch.

Good luck.

Last edited:
It's been in the 90's here for the last two days.
Same with the place they started from.
Dang I hate not knowing.
I'm gonna go ahead and set them upright inside.
Hopefully will still help with settling and I can avoid having them stop developing if they already started.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Hi

Just simply set them but do try to candle them and examine the egg for hair line cracks or damage internally to the air cell. Also if the air cells are still small then its a pretty good assurance that your eggs are relatively fresh. Watch that temperature and err slightly lower at 37.2C / 99F. Finally read the incubation report which may help you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013

Best of luck
fl.gif

Pete
wink.png

Heh, thanks Pete.
I've got your guide memorized.
I hatched out all 6 of my last hatch just didn't have to worry about the extra worry of heat exposure last time.
I have 10 years experience incubating parrots as well so I was used to helping hatches.
Candled right when they showed up and 4 aircells are great with 2 looking a little loose but not fully detached.
They look closer to day 3 than day 1 right now so I think they did have a bit of a start in the post.
Just hoping the ups and downs in temperature during transport didn't mess things up to bad.
I know the first few days is a deal breaker for the rest of incubation.
Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom