Help ! Where can I find sand for coop?

Mine has some fine sediment, but also more larger stuff than that. Some pieces that get stuck in the kitty litter strainer scoop thing. Not too much.

Also, it can be different if it comes from your local river instead of mine. Hmmm, we are close to one of the last un-dammed rivers on the west coast...
cool.png

Interested in using sand in my run. Why no silica? This is a naturally occurring component in non-manufactured play sand, so not sure how I would source sand minus silica. Thanks in advance!

I have been trying to find sand for my coop and have not had any luck . I have read the sand cannot have silica . Anyone in the N Ga area know where to find it ? I have been to several stone yards and I don't know if I am being too picky but I don't think it's the right sand.

Sand for the most part is silicon dioxide. Someone has been feeding you bad advice.

"The most common constituent of sand, in inland continental settings and non-tropical coastal settings, is silica (silicon dioxide, or SiO2), usually in the form of quartz, which, because of its chemical inertness and considerable hardness, is the most common mineral resistant to weathering."

Interested in using sand in my run. Why no silica? This is a naturally occurring component in non-manufactured play sand, so not sure how I would source sand minus silica. Thanks in advance!
Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

That's a great question and I am curious to know as well.

That being said even arsenic is naturally occurring as well as dog poo.
sickbyc.gif
(just a stupid statement)

The "advice " was from an article on the blog by The Chicken Chick about sand in the coop. Being new to chickens I read as much info as possible because I don't want to have problem s down the road with my flock. In the article she states that manufactured sand is bad for respiratory problems in chickens and humans over time. Just trying to do the right thing.

Sand is silica. What you want to avoid is the fine silica dust (actually more complex than that, respirable crystalline silica is the danger). For the purpose of sourcing sand for use with chickens, look for sand that is washed. That would remove the small risk that is involved.

Back
Top Bottom