HELP!! Who's egg is this???

dgrasseth

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2015
Brush Prairie, WA
hello!! I am new to BYC and this is my first thread. Recently, I inherited my neighbors BO (Evelyn) she has been broody for almost 5-6 weeks!! I also bought an olive egger (Ingrid) she is a cross between a FBCM and an ameracauna. She is at the point of laying and should lay anyday now. Evelyn is finally not broody anymore as well. So I went into the coop today to see if there were any olive eggs from Ingrid. And low and behold... I found a small brown egg???
so could this be my BO's? Are they usually smaller after being broody for such a long time? Or does my olive egger really lay light brown eggs? And if so, do they darken or change colors later on? Sorry, I'm new to chickens so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

My BOs will lay different sized eggs so it could be hers. My 2 EEs and 2 blue Ameracuanas just started laying. I was hoping for 2 blue layers and 2 olive layers. Nope, they all lay bright blue! I think EE are the same as Olive eggers.

I have 9 BO pullets just starting to lay .....getting 2 eggs/day now ...... one (not sure which) lays eggs that look just like that, only with scattered white specks on it. Another is laying pinkish eggs. The first eggs were smaller, getting bigger now.

Last edited:
That looks like a BO egg. It can be on the small side when they start back up laying, but not always.

The OE should lay an egg that is some shade of green, hopefully olive, but possibly light green. The depth of the shade will change somewhat during a laying cycle, starting off darkest at the beginning and getting a bit lighter toward the end of the laying cycle. However, the color will not change from olive to brown or vice versa.

Oh yeah!! Thank you so much for helpful insight!
1f44f.png
I wasn't sure since it was much smaller than I thought a BO should lay. I was going to be really sad if my olive egger didn't even lay some sort of green color! Well fingers crossed that I will get an olive green egg shortly.

Back
Top Bottom