HELP! Why can't my Rooster walk?!

ManuelsChickens

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 9, 2012
Joliet, IL
HELP! So i'ts winter and I put my chickens in this little coop. I think it's a small place for 21 chickens but my dad says it's enough space for them. Well my dad noticed that our Rooster hasn't been walking right. So we leave him outside of the coop for a day and he does walk but he walks weird. It looks like if he was hunchback or something. I think it's his spur cause it is really, really big but my dad says it isn't. Can you guys please help?!

check it out , if it is red, swollen , warm, painful then it is infected. Look for cuts too. It may need to be cleaned out. Chickens need alot more space than most information that you read tells you to have. More so when you live in a cold area, like I do since they will spend time inside during the winter. Do you have an out door pen for them. I put hay out for them to kick around and half heads of cabagge or lettuce for them to pick at, keeps the stress down. He may be fighting too, do you have more than one roster coop up in a small area? that can lead to trouble. try to get them out some.

check it out , if it is red, swollen , warm, painful then it is infected. Look for cuts too. It may need to be cleaned out. Chickens need alot more space than most information that you read tells you to have. More so when you live in a cold area, like I do since they will spend time inside during the winter. Do you have an out door pen for them. I put hay out for them to kick around and half heads of cabagge or lettuce for them to pick at, keeps the stress down. He may be fighting too, do you have more than one roster coop up in a small area? that can lead to trouble. try to get them out some.
I haven't checked for that actually. I'll check later how do you clean it out? And there's 1 cockerel, 1 hen, 4 pullets, and 14 silkies I don't know there sex yet.

I have a pullet that has the same problem except we have only 8 chickens and a lot
Of space. She has swollen feet and walks really weird I think it stunted her growth because her siblings are clucking and are ten times bigger than her and she still peeps they all hatched at the same time maybe your rooster has about the same problem

I'm not sure I am pretty nervous for my pullet her having frostbite between her toes probably doesn't help but maybe you can check his legs and feet check for frostbite maybe it is an internal problem

Back
Top Bottom