Help with all the things please.........☺️

My husband said yesterday, lets just turn the playset into the coop and let the kids play in the chicken coop.
1f602.png
. But the coop has been made much larger today. We just need to finish enclosing the walls around the little run. But it's not going to rain for a few days so it will be wide open for a bit.
We have raised it two feet off the ground and have the floor put in. Going tonight to pickup bead board to finish walls. Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Using a play set may not be as far fetched as it seems. We visited Key West once and one of the things I remembered most was the feral chickens running around all over the place. But at night.......they would fly up into the trees to roost. Not the low trees, but limbs as much as 10 feet or more up off the ground. I never knew chickens could fly that high, but those birds could. Birds trying to roost up high on a play set seem to be doing the same thing. It is what they would do in nature, given a choice.

So what do we do? Incarcerate them into a small, poorly ventilated boxes close to the ground and then wonder why they don't like using them. They probably feel like it's a jail break and they don't want to go back to the "pen".

BTW, not a knock on you or the coop your mom purchased. They are sold by the thousands by unknowing sellers to unknowing buyers as something suitable for raising chickens. Only when the unsuspecting buyer starts to use them do the learn they are not what they need. They look good to the people making and selling them, and to the buyers, but not to the birds.

Sounds like you are on the right track!

I would love to compost inside the coop floor but without the dirt floor I know it would just be deep litter. Can I just throw in good rich soil from our yard in with wood shavings, leaves and grass clipping with a hard wood floor?

I would love to compost inside the coop floor but without the dirt floor I know it would just be deep litter. Can I just throw in good rich soil from our yard in with wood shavings, leaves and grass clipping with a hard wood floor?

My guess is that was intended to be "yes", but came out as dots.

My answer would be yes, except skip the dirt........use all the rest of that. Over time, it does start to compost. It can get up to a foot deep or more, with no issues, except the birds may run out of headroom. The droppings are the nitrogen to go along with the carbon that is all the rest. Birds may add enough moisture to make it work and they will also turn and scratch it for you.....toss in a handful of scratch grains.....raw oats work well and they will tear it up. If it looks bad, and or starts to smell, that is your clue to add more litter in the form of leaves, wood chips, clippings, etc.

When you decide enough is enough and you need to clean it out, clean out most of it, but leave a little to inoculate the next batch of litter and start over. Either hot compost the old to finish it or simply spread it on the garden if it's not too hot to handle.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom