Help with breed and gender.

agree with junebuggena. Some folks don't know what they are selling, some sellers alter it to be any breed you are looking for. Buyer beware.

That's terribly disappointing, I was really excited about having some barred rocks :(. Thanks for all your help.

I would say they are barnyard mixes. I think there maybe be some Australorp parentage and probably some EE genes in there and there are some with black skin which may indicate silkie genetics or even an Ayam Cemani parent. I think you will be lucky if there is a single pure breed amongst them but that doesn't mean to say that they won't be good egg layers.... at least the pullets amongst them anyway... I doubt the cockerels will be laying many eggs
wink.png

In the first picture the black bird in the centre with the blurry head is almost certainly a cockerel as it has a red comb.
The second picture, the two colourful ones on the right are males
The third photo I would guess is one of those males again in the centre.
I could go on but it would take too much time and others have pointed them out.

I think it would help if you picked out those which have red combs or some red colouring on their shoulders and wings and take individual close up photos of them, so that we can have a good look and confirm each one. Then get some leg rings and mark those that have been identified as definitely male, otherwise you are probably going to lose track of them again until you develop an eye for spotting them. I would also suggest you set up a grow out pen for the males as once they hit adolescence in a few weeks, the pullets are going to get a seriously hard time.

I don't see any truly black skinned birds. I see gypsy face and dark slate legs associated with extended black genes. I've got a few birds out in my coop right now that are similar, and I have never had a truly black skinned breed on my property. Some of the melanizing genes that come with the extended black can produce birds that have that dark skin around the face. It generally fades as the bird matures.

I noticed yesterday that two of the black birds have small brick colored spots on each side of their shoulders... Would this indicate that they are roos too? Their combs are black, but the more I stared at them they seemed a bit big. They look exactly alike, with spots in the same place.

Thanks. Those spots didn't come out untul a day or two ago, but because of what I learned from you guys earlier I thought that might be the case. Thank you...I'm learning a lot :)

Is there something I can look for in 5 week EE chicks? I have 4 of them and 1 black chick. Would be awesome if I knew if they were boys or girls.

Back
Top Bottom