Help with Cock/Hen ID

Chick number 4 = Cock or Hen?
112867_h4.jpg

They all look like pullets except for number 2 good chance that one is a rooster but its hard to tell they dont look to be even 4 weeks old yet heads dont look fully feathered. Do you know how old they are?

Hi Jay, I was told about 6 weeks but I think you may be right perhaps 4, cheers mike

Good luck mike i could be wrong but i very much doubt there 6 weeks or there feathers would all well be out my guess is 3 or 4 weeks would be max. So far though looks like you only have one roo.

Quote:
X2 - and agree with the others that they look younger than 6 weeks. I could see my cockerel starting to 'go cockerel' around 4-5 weeks. His comb was longer and pointier than the others' and was redder. Also, he was already developing wattles and there was no sign on the girls. Here's a picture of my cuckoo marans cockerel at around 4-5 weeks with a same breed pullet next to him for comparison (pay no attention to the EE trying to get in the shot
lol.png
):
106404_rocky_prof_091511.jpg

He's on the left. His coloring is lighter than the pullet's, his comb is a bit more pronounced and it's slightly reddish. You can't see, but he already had the beginnings of wattles, too.
Good luck - they're cute 'whatever they are', and I'm really glad you took them in!

Back
Top Bottom