Help with color identification. King/Button Quail youngster.

smallbluejellybean

Songster
10 Years
Dec 13, 2009
Kings Park NSW Australia
I am so confused with this little guy or girl.
It was a bright yellow chick and had no silver to start with. Now it has white wings, with a touch of cinnamon and silver ticks through its body feathers.
I have had silver chicks before, but nothing like this.
Also it came from normal parents.
What color is he or she?

It's got me worried that no one can tell me what color it is.
It's like its a white bird that someone has got a sea sponge and dipped it pale grey and cinnamon paint and lightly dabbed it all over the place. It also seems to have darker spots coming through on top of its head on its cheeks.
Someone please help, as I want to color breed my birds, to get more color varieties. Here in Australia we haven't got as many colored birds to choose from and as this little guy or girl is way different from anything I have seen, I want to use it for that purpose. Besides that its cute.

I'm not familiar with buttonquail, but I can tell you that I have some Texas A&M Coturnix, and they are born yellow, but when their adult feathers come in, they are all white, with some having one or two black "dots" on the top of their head. Here is a link to a webpage that displays several color mutations. Here is another site that also has pictures of buttonquail that has some links to web pages for buttonquail.
Also, you need to be patient when posting questions here. I can't speak for everyone else here, but I only check this forum once a day or so.
I hope this helps you with your quail.
James

Thank you James for your reply.
I didn't mean to act impatient. Its just I have tried other site specifically for quail with no reply. I didn't mean just here. Thank you I will look at those sites you posted.
Martha

It's got me worried that no one can tell me what color it is.
It's like its a white bird that someone has got a sea sponge and dipped it pale grey and cinnamon paint and lightly dabbed it all over the place. It also seems to have darker spots coming through on top of its head on its cheeks.
Someone please help, as I want to color breed my birds, to get more color varieties. Here in Australia we haven't got as many colored birds to choose from and as this little guy or girl is way different from anything I have seen, I want to use it for that purpose. Besides that its cute.
hi. I have a lot of pure white button quail that look like this one. Its face and head will turn white just like its body. Their heads just take longer to change color then their bodies do.

I have quail exactly like this. I am also in Australia and have not seen any other birds like this. I am having a hard time trying to track down what mutation these birds are. I have two adult birds, a boy and a girl. All born from straight pure silver bloodlines. I have started breeding these weird king quail mutations and even their chicks are a tough one to figure out. Here is a picture of my adult male up against one of my normal silver males. Forgive the bad quality picture, I'm sure you all know how hard it can be taking pictures of these small jumpy birds. lol

Last edited:
I usually remove obstacles, add light - and then I take a zillion pictures and hope a few are decent ^^
Yours looks like it's more silver than the one in the first pic? But I guess it's still silver cinnamon.
I have a roo myself I'm having trouble naming the color of. Cinnamon or another dilute, certainly - I actually think he has red eyes, but it's hard to tell - one of his chicks clearly did though, but it died within a day so I didn't get to see its grown coloration - but then he originally had what looked like female red breasted coloration and now it's starting to change into a dark gray.. He's quite the mystery as well.

I am so confused with this little guy or girl.
It was a bright yellow chick and had no silver to start with. Now it has white wings, with a touch of cinnamon and silver ticks through its body feathers.
I have had silver chicks before, but nothing like this.
Also it came from normal parents.
What color is he or she?
Looks Silver to me but with the light extra colors idk maybe red breasted silver? Or cinimon silver? You could easily have a new color if it came from 2 normals witch I'm assuming are wild type?

Back
Top Bottom