help with coloring on runner ducks

ppimf

Songster
7 Years
Nov 15, 2012
ellis kansas
i have a pair of fawn and white runner ducks and i incubated a doz eggs and i got one that is grey color and a white bib in front how is this possible and what kind would you call him?

I don't believe there is a 'bibbed grey", it's a throwback
big_smile.png
most likely, as I mentioned in another post , I have some SQ Runners , Penciled from DHolderread, which I have shown and won, light duck. Their baby last year, was white!, Some genes are recessive and some dominant... you must have gotten some recessive genes pair up. I read , it you want to see what genes are hiding,breed the duck back to a grey.....

Pictures would be very helpful. Both of the parents, andt the babies (expecially if you could take some close-ups).

i only have pekins, rouens, and fawn& white runners, looks like a blue swedish with brown in the front lol let me know what all think , i'm lost

that grey one looks heavy through the chest to be a runner. Maybe a runner cross..looks sort of like a blue if it's a runner..but there are no bibbed runners...maybe a blue swedish duck...or if it's a cross, a rinner and blue sweedish cross?

Your duck is obviously not pure runner. My best guess is that the pekin got into the mix. They can carry ANY gene, including dominant, incompletely dominant, and recessive genes, and they will NEVER show on a pekin because the white covers it all up.... untill, that is, you mix it with a duck that doesn't have the white gene.

Since white is recessive, the offspring of a pekin crossed with a colored duck will show a combination of both parents. That is: the colors of the colored parent, and the underlying (hidden) colors of the pekin. Think of white like a can of spray paint that covers up all of the underlying colors. The pekin still has these genes, but they are just covered up. The young-un will carry one recessive white gene, which will not show up (at all). They need to have 2, and then the duck will be completely white.

It looks like maybe your pekin carries extended black, the bibbed gene, and dusky. The blue and brown could have come from the fawn/white runners.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom