Help with coop

comptonkids

Chirping
Apr 5, 2015
texas
First
Do I need to insulate this or can I leave the walls as -is?

2nd, do I have enough ventilation?

Then...what is the cheapest way to cover the flooring? I've read about painting. ..any specific type?

I'd like to do linoleum but that seems expensive when I search for it
[/IMG]

First
Do I need to insulate this or can I leave the walls as -is?

2nd, do I have enough ventilation?

Then...what is the cheapest way to cover the flooring? I've read about painting. ..any specific type?

I'd like to do linoleum but that seems expensive when I search for it
[/QUOTE]
The inside of our coop looks exactly like you have in the picture. We do not use insulation. When we first put the chicks in the coop at about 3 months of age, we had a heat lamp in there with them, but that was in the spring. As for ventilation (I am no expert) but the windows seem enough. I'm assuming that the chickens will have an outside area to roam in or will get some fresh air. I'm not sure if I see an outisde area in your second to last picture, but if they do have access to outside, the window looks fine. Our coop has two windows, and they always have access to their run. In my opinion, the cheapest way to cover the floor is to use plywood. We converted 1/3 of our shead to a coop, and though it already had a wood floor, we put another layer of plywood on top. [I]If I could go back in time I would add more wood under their waterer, or even a couple sq ft of [COLOR=rgb(51, 51, 51)]linoleum because it warped the plywood that we had under our waterer.[/COLOR][/I][COLOR=rgb(51, 51, 51)] We just use the $5 bag of wood shavings from tsc on top of the plywood.[/COLOR]

Well, I've run hardware cloth all around the outside of the coop and I've got one set of roosting bars set up

We're going to construct the nesting boxes this weekend

In total there will be about 35 birds

It's a 10x12 and I'll be constructing a run as well

You may need way more ventilation come summer in Texas, especially if you plan to have that many birds in that space.

Insulation actually makes more sense in hot climates than cold to slow the heating of the coop in no shade.

The top rung of that roost is way too close to the wall, should be 12-18".

You may need more ventilation. That ladder type roost will not work well if you plan on adding more birds. The top rung is too close to the wall, and the rungs are not angled far enough apart. The birds on the lower rungs will get pooped on by the birds above them.

We painted the floor of our coop with Blackjack 57 and then covered it with cheap vinyl from Home Depot. You might be able to get a vinyl remnant from a flooring store fairly cheap. We put wood shavings over the floor and it's been really easy to take care of and protected from moisture.

I agree the roost is too close on the top bar to the wall. Nice coop overall. Not sure where you live in Texas, we're on the coast and it gets hot here so I keep a fan mounted inside on a shelf in front of the southeast window. This summer we also added ridge vents to the roof to help with the heat.

Back
Top Bottom