Help with dog training

I didnt provide any link so i dunno what u are talking about?

Your thinking of your dog through the eyes of a humam! If your so "good" at training why you have so much difficulty? The first step in getting help is realizing u have a problem. U ever saw on tv an AA meeting? Hi im Billy and im an alcoholic....

Im here to help. My pitbull dog free ranges with chickens, ducks, cats, kittens, horse, min horse, and goats. Im pretty sure not many people on this forum have dogs let alone a beast like a pit bulls that can do the same.

Your 1000% digging a whole with a harnes. Of course not all harness are sled dog harnesses. But 100% of real harnesses make it much easier for your dog to pull you.

What's the strategy with electric fence? Animal touches it gets shocked and learns it cant get through. No animal will sit there shocking them selves all day... Animals learn fast, dont discount your dog they will learm to not pull.

If u truly worry about your dog u will want them to be trainned correctly. Otherwise i will have an unbalanced dog. Which will result in a post in the predator section, Go look like 60% of deaths are dogs on this forum.

No one said anything about dominating. Its about trust your dog needs to trust u are the leader and u will protect them so they dont need to enter fight or flight state of mind.

Im not going to twist your arm its your dog your chickens. you can listen to people who have proven to successful train their dog, or you can listen to unqualified recommendations. It dont matter to me my dogs trained remeber ..

Good luck you definitely need it! Ive said all i needed on this thread.

Peace✌

They make no pull harnesses that hook from the front not the back. Works for redirection instead of making them continue to want to pull as a normal harness would. But, with any tool you need to know how to properly use it.
There are a lot of differing opinions on dogs and raising dogs. I would research those different training options and see what fits you and your dog @Rosekitten.
I would also recommend a basic training class (which utilizes the type of training that appeals to you). If you are not comfortable, your dog will sense it.
It sounds like your dog would benefit from long walks and short training sessions before trying to get them to settle for any poultry training.
Good luck! :frow

forget the harness all toghether. no pull harnesses are linked to muscle damage and a regular harness is going to encourage her excitement and give you less control. Get a martingale (limited slip) collar at least. But honestly, at her age, I would get a prong collar.

What are you doing now for correction? Training isn't all rewarding good behavior but also letting her know that something is incorrect. Work on focus in the house - say her name and reward her every time she looks at you. I move that to a "watch me" command. Once you have that, give a light pop of the leash when she breaks focus (you can expect 10 second focus and work up from there once she has the idea) and the second she looks back at you "YES! Good Watch" and praise or reward her.

Then you move it outside. Combining the leave it and watch me commands. Light leash pop when she looks at the birds "ahhh" or whatever negative marker you use (No is heard too often during the day) and "YES! Good watch me" the second she even glances back at you and high value reward.

Short training sessions all day, even if it's just a couple repetitions of "sit" "down" or whatever other tricks she knows. Exercise exercise exercise. Use playtime to work on obedience. Before you throw her ball, have her sit. Or down. Or do a trick. "YES!" and instandtly throw the ball. Work on recall. On leash at first and get a long line so you can get distance (I use lunge lines for horses because they are cheaper).

No pull harnesses work for walking, not running. Running a dog in no pull harness will result in issues. As well people have to use it correctly like they would have to use a prong collar. Incorrect use of a prong collar results in damage as well.

My sister has a Whippet Pit Bull mix who was bred for hunting and loves to run. She is on a front clasp harness to avoid her choking herself and it works. You would just have to keep your lab on a short leash to minimize any possible damage. Don’t make it too short though or it would not work. It needs to be short enough she cannot take off and flip over but long enough that she’ll turn around if you correct her or if she goes too far in front.

I don't want to get really involved with this discussion, but I just wanted to say the following:

I had a lab (a rescued stray) that was very intelligent, but also a huge puller on the leash. My family tried nearly everything to get him to walk calmly: clicker training, slip leads, some type of halter (think it was called the "gentle leader"?), prong collar, and several types of "no-pull" harnesses. Everything worked temporarily, but then he adapted and returned to his normal self.

The thing that ended up working was an electric collar, primarily with the page function, but when needed, the shock. He quickly progressed from lunging ahead on the leash to heeling nicely and even being safe off leash.

I don't want to get really involved with this discussion, but I just wanted to say the following:

I had a lab (a rescued stray) that was very intelligent, but also a huge puller on the leash. My family tried nearly everything to get him to walk calmly: clicker training, slip leads, some type of halter (think it was called the "gentle leader"?), prong collar, and several types of "no-pull" harnesses. Everything worked temporarily, but then he adapted and returned to his normal self.

The thing that ended up working was an electric collar, primarily with the page function, but when needed, the shock. He quickly progressed from lunging ahead on the leash to heeling nicely and even being safe off leash.
I think that is what we need to realize is that not every dog is going to respond to certain training methods or tools and as the dog owner, we need to find what works for our dog and what we will comfortable with to be consistent and make the dog successful.

No pull harnesses work for walking, not running. Running a dog in no pull harness will result in issues. As well people have to use it correctly like they would have to use a prong collar. Incorrect use of a prong collar results in damage as well.

Actually, the very act of wearing a no-pull harness results in muscle damage. http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/16_7/features/the-no-pull-debate_20782-1.html

Much like head halters, it is a marketing gimmick designed to make humans feel better with no actual benefit to the dog and a lot of issues that can easily go unnoticed until the damage is done.
https://suzanneclothier.com/article/problem-head-halters/

Have you watched that dog training guy? Sergio I think is his name. He can get a life long pulling dog to walk right next to him. With a regular collar. He likely has some you tube videos.

Short leash for that and basically every time they start to pull on a walk he stops makes them heal and then starts walking again. The dog quickly learns that if he pulls the walk stops for a good 10 ish seconds. Lots of stopping at first but that dog knows he can’t pull with him.

Well the harness isn't a set in stone idea but if I can't get her to follow or listen to me while outside I may have to get a front clip for a while till she gets the hang of it. I really want to avoid a shock collar because I have two small kids who like to get a hold of things.. and I have read a lot of negative training results to the shock collars and even more so when it comes to using it to train around other animals. Dogs are smart but if your timing is off even slightly the shock they felt might be associated with something else. I'm sure it works but it'd be in my last resort list.

I have no looked into Sergio yet, I have looked into a few and atm I was watching a trainer by the name of Zac something. I'm terrible at names. He does a lot of various breeds and different energy levels and how to get them to better focus. He uses a mix of harness and just collars depending on the dog. Mainly he is using the harness when teaching larger dog breeds that have high energy.

The short leash is pretty easy to do as I got one of the I guess it's a training leash or control leash with two handles. I wish it had a third middle point handle really as that is where the more comfortable length for her to have some movement and to still not be squished almost right on my leg.

The stop and go is what I have been doing. I usually make her sit till she calms down a little before trying to get her to walk again. It works, all the way till someone comes home from work and is in the yard. Then everything is out the door and no amount of bribes commands or sitting keeps her from trying to choke herself to get to where the other person is. Everyone here is on the same page as we do not let her come to anyone and she does not get affection from anyone till she is sitting or at the very least standing still and not trying to jump.

Also I do know that not every dog will respond to the same training that another will. As I have said I had dogs throughout my life with no issues. This is the first time everything I have tried thus far has not worked. There's nothing wrong with her just need to figure out what works for her.

If I do end up getting a harness it would only be used for training. Walks or runs she's fine with a collar. I can't wait till she grows a little more as I have a very nice comfort collar but it's at the smallest size at the moment and her small head is a little too narrow.

Back
Top Bottom