Help with egg size and recipes

IonaFarm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
I was told that most recipes are based on large eggs unless otherwise listed. Right/wrong?

I have two dozen bantam cochin eggs. I guess they would be considered tiny. They are smaller then a store bought small.

So how many bantam eggs do i use in place of one large? There the cutest little things but I don't want to waste them.

Anyone have experience with this or a chart?

Thanks so much for the help.
smile.png

I have one bantam amongst my 29 hens, and I love her eggs the best. She has the most consistent firm, dark yolks, but she tries to go broody after laying about eighteen eggs.

I always use her eggs if I have them, usually two to one. But it depends on what I am cooking. Like a cake that calls for three eggs I would use at least four of hers, if it is brownies asking for one egg, I use two eggs. But I am pretty good at just winging it when it comes to pulling things together.

Boy that probably did not help much, but you do get a feel for it. It is kind of like getting double yolks from my large hens, when I use them I cut back a bit, you just kind of do what feels right ,it gets easier as you use these eggs more.

I agree about the amount of egg. It just has to be close. Most recipes will work with a little more or a little less. Imps chart is a good guideline.

I have an inexpensive digital scale from Walmart and I just put a bowl on the scale, 0 the scale out. Break the eggs into the bowl on the scale and weigh them. 1 large egg is 50 grams.

Back
Top Bottom