HELP with FIRST TIME CHIC PARENTING

luvmynewchics

Hatching
Mar 17, 2016
Jackson,GA
My Husband and I are first time chicken and chic parents. We have 7 full grown chickens outside. 1 rooster (Petey) and 6 hens. About 2 weeks ago we got 6 baby chic's and they are doing great. Right now we are trying to figure out when and how to incorporate the baby chic's with the grown ones. Will the rooster and hens hurt our baby's? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

My Husband and I are first time chicken and chic parents. We have 7 full grown chickens outside. 1 rooster (Petey) and 6 hens. About 2 weeks ago we got 6 baby chic's and they are doing great. Right now we are trying to figure out when and how to incorporate the baby chic's with the grown ones. Will the rooster and hens hurt our baby's? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to the flock!!

i wouldn't recommend trying to integrate them till the chicks have fully feathered out and then do it by placing them in a cage next to the others, then as they get accustomed to one another (over a few weeks) you can make an opening big enough for the younger birds to get though but not the bigger chickens so they can venture in and intermingle but still have a safe get away.

Last edited:
i wouldn't recommend trying to integrate them till the chicks have fully feathered out and then do it by placing them in a cage next to the others, then as they get accustomed to one another you can make an opening big enough for the younger birds to get though but not the bigger chickens so they can venture in and intermingle but still have a safe get away.

Thank you VERY much. I guess it's time to be looking into how to make Our baby's a new home. They are all starting to feather very fast. So at least the construction part of it can start.

welcome-byc.gif

You've received some good advice so I'll just say hello and thank you for joining us!

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to the flock!!

i wouldn't recommend trying to integrate them till the chicks have fully feathered out and then do it by placing them in a cage next to the others, then as they get accustomed to one another (over a few weeks) you can make an opening big enough for the younger birds to get though but not the bigger chickens so they can venture in and intermingle but still have a safe get away.
x3

Hi and welcome to BYC - in support of the advice already given, there are lots of articles threads if you search "integrating new chickens" - some great resources here.

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom