Help with gender please!

NosiphoChooks

Songster
7 Years
Nov 2, 2012
Ive posted this one a couple of months ago. S/he is about 4 and a half months old now maybe a week or two more. I was always under the impression that it was a hen but am having doubts yet again. It always acts like a hen but has some funky looking feathers on it's neck although Im not sure if thats just the patterning as I don't have any more that colour. Also you can see her hatch mate behind her who is most definately a boy and he looks so different!

Oh no thats so rubbish I really wanted to keep him, now I'm going to have to decide between the two araucanas and I love them both! What was the decider out of interest? Thats rubbish out of 3 cream legbars and 2 araucanas I've had off this guy only 1 was a hen and she died :(

Who did you buy them from?

I'd probably keep the lavender just because it looks like the black is a bit of a mess of colours (not a standard colour). Unless of course, you're not bothered about breeding, in which case, keep the black because he looks more interesting :)

Got them from a man who breeds them as a hobby, he has just started on the legbars and aracuanas so these are his first generation. I thought the black one was a bit messy! TBH with the large fowl I wasn't planning to breed from them, they are more for eggs. I have polish frizzle bantams who I hope to breed eventually. I hand reared these little boys and will be really sad to see either of them go, Think I'm going to bite the bullet and keep the lavender and find a new home for the other one.

As long as it is 100% a boy, I would hate to get rid and for it to be a girl!

Aww bless, he will have to find a new home then! I see what you mean the wings have a lot more colour on them. Oh well its a shame but hopefully I can find him a good home! What type of chickens do you have 'Time-out'? Nice to meet another Brit!

Howdudu :) More and more brits are discovering this hidden resource. I love it here; there is so much information and everyone is so friendly!

I breed a variety of colours of araucanas, silver laced bantam barnevelders and I have a couple of other projects on the go (at this early stage, they'd still be classed as 'crosses'). I also have some yellow pencilled friesians; silver, citron and chamois sebrights, vorwerks, a citron millefleur sabelpoot, a silver spangled appenzeller, cream legbars and a mahoosive barnevelder cockerel.

It's difficult to find a good home for a cockerel. I wish you luck in your endeavour. Don't bother with auctions; he'll just end up on someone's plate and you'll have no control over how or when the 'processing' is done. It's why we process our cockerels ourselves. We know they've had a good life, they're not stressed and it's done humanely. It's not easy, though. It's a pain chickens aren't like horses or dogs. Although, I doubt I could get away with raising a foal in my living room...
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom