Help with goose egg. No incubator

Qmartin1

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2021
My female goose was killed by bobcat last night. She layer an egg yesterday. I can’t get an incubator until next week I have a heat lamp. Can I use it or do I wait and use incubator or what. This pair were my first set of geese and they were mostly grown when I got them. They live free range and just come up to eat feed. Have the egg in house now in a box of hay. Help. Please

No
Are you sure the eggs are fertile? How old will the egg be when you get the incubator? Do not use the heat lamp. It won't keep a steady temp.
don’t know if it is or not. She just laid it last night or this morning before she was killed. Can order incubator Friday so it will probably get here Monday or Tuesday with amazon prime. Live in rural area so nowhere to buy one around here. Don’t get paid till Friday anyway. Have it in box with hay. She had it half buried. It is a lot heavier then the other ones she laid. Something kept eating them so this is first one we found whole. Also first one she half buried. Want to try to save it if I can

No

don’t know if it is or not. She just laid it last night or this morning before she was killed. Can order incubator Friday so it will probably get here Monday or Tuesday with amazon prime. Live in rural area so nowhere to buy one around here. Don’t get paid till Friday anyway. Have it in box with hay. She had it half buried. It is a lot heavier then the other ones she laid. Something kept eating them so this is first one we found whole. Also first one she half buried. Want to try to save it if I can
The egg will be hatchable for about a week. Was it layed today?

You want to store it cool but not refrigerated pointes end down. Just look for info on storing eggs prior to incubation. Some people turn once or twice a day😀

It wasn’t there yesterday evening. So last 24 hours. So it will be ok in a box with hay until Tuesday or so when I get an incubator?

Do I need to turn it or wet it while waiting on incubator is that for just when I get incubator?

Just keep it on the counter in a bowl so it doesn't roll off. 4-5 x a day, give it a 1/4 turn to help keep the yolk centered. It should be fine for 2 weeks. It's normal for a goose to take 2 weeks or more to accumulate eggs to sit on. Don't need to mist the egg until it gets in the incubator.
Look for a couple more eggs to hatch. If you're in CO, I would give you a few.

Back
Top Bottom