help with humidy levels

cindydj

Songster
13 Years
Jan 16, 2007
Okay I set the eggs today. Now I am confussed looks like my humidy is staying around 39% Now I still have the red holes in the Hova Bator are still plugged and I have a spong and the water in the bottom. What should the humidity be? Now the other problem how do you waite 21 days?????? This is addicting

Wait until tomorrow.... Give things time to settle.... Then start adjusting.

smile.png

Sandy

And most importantly..... back away from the bator!! LOL
It needs to stay closed as much as possible for the humidity to build up.

chel

Chel how did you know? I guess that is the hardest part when beginning all of this. When I get up in the night the first place I go is to check the bator then in the morning then off to the barn...This is addicting....

Also with the way our weather is right now it may not take a whole lot of water. What type Hygrometer are you using?

Don't laugh I had a thermostat that I had outside with a inside outside reader and put the wireless modual in there....it may not even work......

What do ya'll do?

I need all the help I can get...and I may have a broody hen. One our horse got injured in all the mud so we have been out rearranging the stalls and threw a tarp over a barrel hay feeder for the horses and today while I was out there something moved and I looked under it and it was one of my hens and she was still in there several hours later. I looked tonight when I locked up and she was on her roost (the rafters in barn) and there was not an egg. Do think she was just cold???

I think she is getting ready to set. So, put an egg (or something) under her to see if she wants to stay on it. Then you can put fertile eggs under her to hatch--if you like her setting there. If not, she will probably not like another spot you pick out. But,maybe the rest of the guys on here know something I don't.

You may want to go to Walmart and buy one of the Hygrometer/Thermometers they have for around $ 8.00. Second guessing your temp and humidity is a sure way to a bad hatch.

Your girl may be going broody, some just like a quiet place where they are not bothered to lay. She may have found a nice spot where everone else leaves her in peace. Some hens are very pushy about their nests and of course everyone wants the same one. Your girl just may want to get away from it all. If she is thinking about setting you might decide if you want her there because it is very hard to get them to change their mind about where they are going to brood a clutch of eggs.

I am going to get another thermometer/hygrometer today. I candled the eggs and only had two clear from my little flock I have been gathering. I now have some other eggs I purchsed so I do hope this goes well.

The hen has not gone broody and they have all moved their laying spot from the nesting box to my hay stack. It is fine where they are and all three are laying in their little nest. I added some faux eggs to see if they will sit. We will see..........

Back
Top Bottom