Help with my 4 yr!

Why does it have to be stress related..??
hu.gif

Again, my kid did this stuff to concentrate. It is considered "overflow" movement by his occupational therapist. We needed the OT for fine motor skills. The chewing helped him manage the other fine motor skills, for writing and piano. He is now thirteen, and his fine motor skills are better, but not the best. The kid is all about gross motor, has abs of steel, huge thighs and shoulders from the sports he does.

It doesn't have to be stress, especially if he does it mostly when he is concentrating. It is a method to help him concentrate. Some of these things are actually more common in children that are ahead of schedule. They sort of "skip" things developmentally that help integrate movement, and spacial sense. The kid might have lousy eye/hand coordination, but can ride a bike before any of his peers. Sometimes this early development manifests itself is strange ways. It doesn't mean there is a problem with the kid, only that the kid is developing differently.

I play with paper at the movies. I fold and refold my ticket into all sorts of shapes. This keeps me from biting my nails. This is NOT stress, it is merely business of my hands. I do this, because as an adult I realized the only time I bit my fingernails was in the dark, at the movies. I suppose the same could be accomplished with a crochet hook.

http://www.causeof.org/neuro.htm

mom'sfolly :

Again, my kid did this stuff to concentrate. It is considered "overflow" movement by his occupational therapist. We needed the OT for fine motor skills. The chewing helped him manage the other fine motor skills, for writing and piano. He is now thirteen, and his fine motor skills are better, but not the best. The kid is all about gross motor, has abs of steel, huge thighs and shoulders from the sports he does.

It doesn't have to be stress, especially if he does it mostly when he is concentrating. It is a method to help him concentrate. Some of these things are actually more common in children that are ahead of schedule. They sort of "skip" things developmentally that help integrate movement, and spacial sense. The kid might have lousy eye/hand coordination, but can ride a bike before any of his peers. Sometimes this early development manifests itself is strange ways. It doesn't mean there is a problem with the kid, only that the kid is developing differently.

I play with paper at the movies. I fold and refold my ticket into all sorts of shapes. This keeps me from biting my nails. This is NOT stress, it is merely business of my hands. I do this, because as an adult I realized the only time I bit my fingernails was in the dark, at the movies. I suppose the same could be accomplished with a crochet hook.

http://www.causeof.org/neuro.htm

AH HA! I can not have a paper napkin without it being folded a million times and then useless when I go to use it. I am all about fine motor skills and I always thought it was just my hands needing to 'do' something.
Yea, my movie tickets are dust by the time the movie is over. How interesting. I am not alone.

Oh. And about it being stress or anxiety, It does not have to be anything that anyone is doing to him, or saying mean things. If he is a thinker, then he will 'think' things to death. That will be the same as chewing your nails when surfing the net. it is mindless to him while his brain is occupied doing something else.

My son started after the 9/11 event. It got worse after the space shuttle blew up on re-entry. He was really young when he figured out that things were out of his parents control. It became a comfort, even though it had to be physically uncomfortable. I roll my index finger around my thumb in a circle when I am waiting for the dentist. My thumb is tender by the time it's over. But it helps relive the stress somehow, and I do not even realize that I am doing it.​

Last edited:
First of all let me say thank you to everyone for your comments I appreciate it very much. I did catch him biting his nails and asked him what he was thinking about and he replied that he was just listening to me ( I was reading a book to him ) So I asked him why he was biting his nails and he said he does it "cause I'm a dinosaur and dinosaurs have to chew of things cause they have big strong teeth."
gig.gif
He is by far my most imaginative child.
Overall I'm pretty sure he isn't stressed, I think he is just keeping his hands busy as mom'sfolly suggested.
Throughout the day I payed close attention to him (when he wasn't looking of course) and have found that he will be chewing on his nails anytime he is thinking about something. For example, when we were playing Simon Says or when he was watching a squirrel play outside, pretty much anytime that he was concentrating on something he was biting on something. So what I have him doing now is, whenever he catches himself chewing on his nails he is to come to me for a carrot and I have him chew on that the same way he chews his nails and that has worked pretty well. After reading about the movie ticket I got an idea to fold a piece of paper up to the size of a movie ticket to give him something to occupy his hands. He has turned it into a door, a triangle, and now a book about a sheep named Rupert. Did I mention he has an imagination? I am also going to give him some gum to chew. Thank you all again I will keep you guys updated on our progress.
smile.png

You could always give him an ink pen and let him click it. Some people are mobile learners. When they concentrate on anything, some part of their body must be doing something. Most people jiggle their leg, drum their fingers, or chew on pen caps. You could help him to transition to something less harmful (however, pen clicking drives people crazy!!!). My stepson is one of these people. He is a pacer, which was very disruptive in school. Teacher's as a general rule cannot allow these types of behavior in class because it disrupts everyone else, and can be a tremendous help in channeling their energies into other things. My stepson finally learned to jiggle his leg instead of pace. Since you homeschool, you could allow a little more freedom in this area, but keep in mind that eventually he will be in the workforce. Whatever direction you encourage him to go has to be something that would be considered acceptable in that type of environment. Sugarfree gum would be welcome most anywhere. I have another friend of mine who buys straws, cuts them down to about 2 inches and chews on one all day long.

Some of us aren't so perfect, but somehow we all have our talents. Sounds like his energy is "nervous" energy. Nervous energy will most likely be the energy of greatness in some way. He may be an artist, writer, magician, or possibly a poet or something. You just got to let it unfold as it ripens. I do recommend limiting his sugar intake and maybe martial arts or gymnastics or something that can teach confidence and discipline. But who wouldn't benefit from those things anyway? Life is difficult and that is okay. Glad you are asking.

I grew up with a kid who bit his nails back to the cuticles, and he still does. Anyway he is one of the most incredible people I've ever met. He is a very talent sketch artist and a body builder today. He is drug free and lives well even without his nails.

I agree, it sounds like he might grow up to have some great artistic talent!
I have a friend who's always been a "leg shaker". You should see her legs go when she's excited about something.
lol.png

She aces art, so that might have something to do with it.

I tend to pace when I'm nervous. I'm a wreck when talking on the phone (I hate it! Freaks me out
hide.gif
) so have usually walked around the room a fair few times during the course of a five minute chat.
tongue.png

Ahhh, I also pace when on the phone, not from nervousness, but just as something to occupy my legs while my mouth is moving
bun.gif

I also will stick my tongue out while being artistic; painting, drawing, woodworking, building, puzzles...... yeah, you get the idea. I don't even realize I'm doing it until someone points it out. It was kind of embarrassing in art classes until everyone got to know me.

ray's two cents :

I agree, it sounds like he might grow up to have some great artistic talent!
I have a friend who's always been a "leg shaker". You should see her legs go when she's excited about something.
lol.png

She aces art, so that might have something to do with it.

I tend to pace when I'm nervous. I'm a wreck when talking on the phone (I hate it! Freaks me out
hide.gif
) so have usually walked around the room a fair few times during the course of a five minute chat.
tongue.png

lol.png
That's funny! I'll usually run my hand through my hair when writing or doing something artistic. I usually end up looking like I've had an electric shock. My friends love to laugh at it.
tongue.png

Quote:
In place of a clicking ball point pen, Hand him a pipe cleaner. It will be quieter, but be prepared to save all of the wonders that he creates! And we will want to see the gallery when he is done! You sound like a great mom and he is so blessed to have you.

Back
Top Bottom