Help with New Hens

hippiehillwoman

In the Brooder
Oct 22, 2023
I have a small flock with a rooster, only 5 hens. They have been laying 2-3 eggs a day. A week ago my niece asked me to take her 3 hens who were laying. We put the girls into the coop at night. Every day since my hens come out into the big yard, but the new ones stay inside. 2 of them have been out for very short time a couple of times. I figure they'll come out eventually?? Recently I've found eggs laid without the shells....Stress?? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

I'd increase free choice calcium offerings for both groups and find a way to separate your two groups so they can see, but not touch, one another. This will prevent bullying and hopeful reduce the fear your new flock has for the old. When they are bored / mostly indifferent to one another, that's a good sign they can cohabitate peacefully.

If you cannot separate, run clutter and escape routes are super important. Think of it like a maze without dead ends. Frightened birds need ways to evade potential bullies, things to hide behind to escape notice. Their fear of the new situation can even attract bullying behavior. Give them ways to feel safe/secure and they will gain confidence and become less vulnerable. Multiple feed and water spaces will make sure the timid do not go hungry.

If you didn't do a quarantine period, I'd advise that if at all possible in future to prevent unintended parasite and sickness transmission. So much easier to treat just the new birds vs. an entire flock.

Best of luck!!

Truthfully, I think you are over the worst of it. If they are struggling, let your original flock out into your yard, and let the new birds in the coop/run by themselves for a couple of days.

Do set up multiple feeders, and situate them so that if a bird is eating at one place, they can't see birds at another. I try and have a feed station for every 4 birds. I have 13 now and feed in three separate places.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom