help with new hens

chickkrzi

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2011
Waco texas
hi all, I have inherited 4 new hen They were given to me by a guy that was moving. after having some BYC member help me identify them as black sex links. One of them stated that they had small pale cones and might now start laying until spring. It was my mistake not to ask the guy about egg production or what he had been feeding them. I was just wondering if there is any supplements I need to feed them to help out or will I just have to wait it out. Have my flock on purina layer mix and cracked corn as a snack.
Thank for the help

I have two BSL, great hens...

No, mine eat just Layer feed with oyster shell/crushed egg shell on the side...you don't need to give them anything extra to help them.
They will lay when they are ready....look for really red combs...one of the easiest ways to tell if they are close.

68634_dsc_0235.jpg

68634_dsc_0015.jpg

here are my 2 girls...both laying in these pics...how red are your hens combs? How old are they? Mine started around 18-20 weeks...but with winter here, you may not get any eggs till spring, unless you add lighting to the coop to extend their days.

I don't add light, feel I will give them a break through the winter. I went from 12 eggs a day down to 5...but I am ok with that. I would rather let nature take its course with my hens, and not force them into laying.

Yea, I don't use light, they need a break and so do I, to do the worming and powdering for bugs.

Purina Layena is fine. Then have oyster shell, and grit, and some scratch. Eventually you'll be here so much that you'll be making adjustments to make their diet better. They love leftovers.

Well they are 8 months old, guess I’ll just wait an see what happen. I do have a heat lamp in hen house. don’t turn it on unless it get temp drops below at night

113473_australorp_3.jpg

8 months? Are you positive on the age? They should be laying...are you sure you don't have a hidden nest somewhere? Can you post a pic of their combs...so we can see how red they are? I am having trouble seeing it...now it looks very pink, and not close to laying..but 32 weeks seems long for a BSL, although all chickens are different.

Different views on heat and winter...mine and MANY others do great in freezing temps...mine went to -29* the other night...no heat in coop. It helps them acclimate to the cold, if the electricity shuts off when they are used to warm temps, they will suffer, do to not being able to get used to the cold. It can also create more humidity, which can lead to frostbite. Chickens in Alaska don't even have added heat. Your choice.

Check for some hidden nests, post a pic of combs...lets see if we can find you some eggs!

Last edited:
just got them a few days ago. the guy i got them from told me they where 8 months old, they are the same size as my orpingtons and just a little bit larger than my RIRs, they are 10 months old. heres a nother pic, sorry but cell phone doesnt take very good pic. im thinking he was letting them free range.
113473_australorp_1.jpg

combs are not very red....I am guessing they aren't 8 months...32 weeks is a long time for a BSL...in my opinion...

they are girls though! just keep an eye, when the combs starting getting bright red...get ready for eggs!

I've raised lots and lots of BSLs and those pullets, as shown, are only 16-18 weeks old, sorry you were apparently misinformed. Sometimes folks just confuse things or unintentionally mis-speak. I'm a pretty good fan of the hybrid. They aren't particularly people oriented, which is fine by me. Business-like. That said, there's no magic in a crossing a RIR type over a Barred Rock and getting BSLs. They'll only be as good as the parent stock used, imho.

Back
Top Bottom