Help with new Silkie youngsters!!!!

Silkie88

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 29, 2012
Canada
So my dad got me 4 more silkie chickens for my flock, the lady who previously owned them said there were all around 3 months old and she had them already eating layers mash!!
barnie.gif
From my understanding you where supossed to feed them chick starter for the first two months of life then chick grower untill they start to lay?! Im really concerned for them as they were living with game birds previously and i do not think they have had any vaccinasion's? Im going to try and get ahold of the lady to see if they were on medicated chick feed, or have had there vaccinasion's but i dought they have!! :( So would it be to late to give them any vaccinasions, or is there any other stuff i can give them before i integrate them with my previous flock??

Last edited:
Most people don't vaccinate their chicks unless they were bought from a hatchery. I personally vaccinate for ILT (by bringing a vet in and doing it). But that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the lady who sold them to you.

They should be on grower, not starter. After 7 weeks, there is no need to feed medicated starter.

Don't put them in with your flock until you are sure they are disease free. Bathe them as well. They sure love a warm bath :p

All the time you need to quarantine the new birds for 30 days , and if you can find out they was vaccinate before because if they was and you do again you will over doze them.

Back
Top Bottom