Help with pheasant HELP HELP HELP ASAP

poultrykeeper08

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Agawam , Ma
I got a new yellow golden rooster yesterday .
Now heres the problem . I was told by his old owner that he travled 100 miles to the auction and spent about an hour in the very hot building before the auction started . Once i won him i tried to give him water he didnt want it . WHen i got home i put him in the pen and he ate some game bird crumbles that were in there but not much at all and then he drank some water so i figured everything was good . Today i whent to the pen and i seen him standing behind a little bush in the pen so i threw some layer pellets in there around him . I went and did a few things with the other birds and came back and seen he didnt eat any of the layer pellets so i got worried . I whent and picked him up ( he isnt very scared by humans and i was told by his old owner he would eat from ur hand ) I could feel that he is very skinny so i moved him to his own pen . i put down bird seed he didnt want it , put down more layer pellets he didnt want it , i put bread down he didnt want it . I seen him peck at the dirt once but nothing else . Now im going crazy cuz i dont want him to die , I threy in grass ,weeds,lettuce and NOTHING he doesnt want it . I just threw in a few tomatoes and he took a few bites of that . WHAT SHOULD I DOO? i do not want this great fella to die . I bought him to give him a better home . I ran out of game bird crumbles . but i can go get some more ASAP if som one thinks that is what i should give him
SOME ONE HELP

he is drinking water !

Last edited:
You could also try a little sugar water. Try to dip the tip in gently not to far. Any little bit he gets will help . It sounds like he had a stressful trip.. He might also eat any fruit you would have- peach, melon? Some rest might be in order- cool and quiet. Mine seem to stress easily. Act like they are almost dead but are ok later. Good luck, they are very pretty. Susan

well i got him to eat small piece of egg and i think he drank some sugar water but he didnt touch the mellon .

He went in my barn and i put him on a perch when i went to pet him he flew up into my loft with the pigeons i am going to go out and check on him in a few

i hope he makes it through the night
fl.gif

You might have to hand feed him some. Buy baby bird hand feeding formula and try giving it to him, if he doesn't eat it try dripping a few drops in his mouth. It has a lot of vit etc to help him. Was he skinny when you bought him?

yeah he was skinny when i got him . i have some bird formula i could give him i dont have any oedialit but i can get some .

he made it through the night . im going out now to check on him agian

If he was real skinny when you got him he may be suffering from worms/lice ,mites etc. The stress of moving him could have made it worse, or an illness. Do your best to keep him stable and hydrated. The poly vi sol liquid vit would be good too, but the baby bird formula will have a lot of the stuff he needs. When he starts getting some strength back I would use some Ivomec on him. Keep him away from any of your other birds and change clothes in between handling him and others. Vit B-12 is good for stressed birds. I bought some Vit 12-& k for poultry and it has help bring back some very sick birds. good luck with him....
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom