Help with Rooster seems healthy but not able to walk

prairyd

In the Brooder
May 28, 2020
Hello everyone,

I had posted weeks ago when my rooster started to exhibit shaky legs and was sitting a lot. I have since added vitamin B supplements (Rooster Booster) and changed the food to an all flock feed rather than a layer feed due to the generous suggestions that I got from this forum. The flock also gets a healthy mix of daily raw veggie and fruit scraps. They have a ton of space to roam and are nearly free-ranging. Ruben, the rooster, is a huge, 1 year old Blue Laced Brahma. He still mates, crows, eats and drinks regularly. His feathers are gorgeous and there is no wound or any signs of illness or parasites. He still sand bathes and as far as I can tell he still sees and hears everything. However, his legs are shaking even more and one leg has gotten very weak. When he walks it almost looks as if he can't support his own weight. He sits most of the day now with his rump high in the air when he isn't eating, drinking, or mating. He will stand to crow then sits back down. I've been able to get a good look at his bottom, from a bit of a distance, and it looks perfectly clean and as it should be. This behavior has been going on for months now and has begun to worsen. Fortunately, the rest of the flock has remained healthy. They have all been vaccinated as well. I'd like to take my rooster to the vet but he came to me as a juvenile and despite how much I have worked with him, he does not let me get close. He likes to hang around with me and use to follow me everywhere about their yard but keeps a 6 foot distance. I'm at a loss as to what I can do to help him. If anyone has any additional recommendations, please feel free to share. Thank you in advance!

If videos are allowed I can share a video of his efforts to walk if that is helpful.

Greetings prairyd,

I know that your original post about this rooster, was in March. So it has been approximately 8 weeks. I am doubtful that the rooster has Marek's, but it is always good to err on the side of caution. Since you have also administered vitamin supplements, I think it's safe to say he was not deficient.

The next consideration would be a back injury of some sort. Because he is a heavy breed, and both legs are affected, and since you found blood in the coop back in March just before his symptoms started, I am inclined to think this is a real possibility. He may have injured himself while jumping down from a perch. The condition may be worsening because he has been aggravating it, by moving about and mating.

Without the help of a vet and an x-ray, there is no way to be absolute about the diagnosis. I find it best to treat the symptoms and practice supportive care and nutrition to increase the bird's chance for full, or near full recovery.

Next, when you have a rooster you must learn to manage it's behavior. The rooster will need to be handled if he is going to be treated. Don't be afraid of him. Yes, he can draw blood or cause a good bruise, at the least. But if you handle him appropriately that shouldn't happen. Wear a long sleeved sweat jacket to protect your forearms. Keep in mind that he is in pain, when handling him. Give him a few minutes to calm down after restraining him. Stroke his wattles and talk sweetly to him.

What to do?

Suggested Treatment:
  • Wrap the rooster in a bath towel to restrain him. Place the towel over his back while he is sitting. Then, scoop him up and wrap the towel around him, covering his feet as well. Place him on your lap. Wrap him securely so he won't be able to struggle much. You don't wan to aggravate his injury.
  • Administer, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory. There are many anti-inflammatory medications you can give. Some are better than others, and they differ in how long you can give them. Meloxicam, Carprofen, are best. But you can even use a low dose Aspirin. If you would like dosage information let us know here on BYC.
  • Supportive care would include a chicken sling/wheelchair to immobilize him for a few hours each day. A bed on the floor of the coop is best, perhaps in a dog crate. A back injury will cause him to sit often, in order to relieve stress on the back. Sitting and leg tremors also indicate pain. He should not be allowed to perch for a few months, or until he has recovered. Leg and back injuries are very common in roosters.
Because he is eating, drinking and mating, he has a good chance for recovery. However, this type of injury can take up to 6 months to fully repair. If this is a back injury the anti-inflammatory will not only help with pain, but it will reduce any swelling in tissues.

These are my thoughts on your roosters health issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)
Chicken Restrain final.jpg

Here is one of my roosters healing from a compound fracture.
Covey in wheelchair 11-2020.jpg
Covey in wheelchair view two 11-2020.jpg

Can you get close enough to try a baby aspirin daily?
It's hard as they always want to drop it to the girls. It's an art form, lol.
Baby aspirin for a few days would maybe give you some info as to what it is, orthopedic injury vs disorder. My Big Boy totally went down at about 22 weeks, followed this advice (gathered from here of course) and within an couple days he was up and running. I did the baby aspirin for 7 days, 1/2 tab 2ce day. I also gave extra b vitamins

Greetings prairyd,

I know that your original post about this rooster, was in March. So it has been approximately 8 weeks. I am doubtful that the rooster has Marek's, but it is always good to err on the side of caution. Since you have also administered vitamin supplements, I think it's safe to say he was not deficient.

The next consideration would be a back injury of some sort. Because he is a heavy breed, and both legs are affected, and since you found blood in the coop back in March just before his symptoms started, I am inclined to think this is a real possibility. He may have injured himself while jumping down from a perch. The condition may be worsening because he has been aggravating it, by moving about and mating.

Without the help of a vet and an x-ray, there is no way to be absolute about the diagnosis. I find it best to treat the symptoms and practice supportive care and nutrition to increase the bird's chance for full, or near full recovery.

Next, when you have a rooster you must learn to manage it's behavior. The rooster will need to be handled if he is going to be treated. Don't be afraid of him. Yes, he can draw blood or cause a good bruise, at the least. But if you handle him appropriately that shouldn't happen. Wear a long sleeved sweat jacket to protect your forearms. Keep in mind that he is in pain, when handling him. Give him a few minutes to calm down after restraining him. Stroke his wattles and talk sweetly to him.

What to do?

Suggested Treatment:
  • Wrap the rooster in a bath towel to restrain him. Place the towel over his back while he is sitting. Then, scoop him up and wrap the towel around him, covering his feet as well. Place him on your lap. Wrap him securely so he won't be able to struggle much. You don't wan to aggravate his injury.
  • Administer, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory. There are many anti-inflammatory medications you can give. Some are better than others, and they differ in how long you can give them. Meloxicam, Carprofen, are best. But you can even use a low dose Aspirin. If you would like dosage information let us know here on BYC.
  • Supportive care would include a chicken sling/wheelchair to immobilize him for a few hours each day. A bed on the floor of the coop is best, perhaps in a dog crate. A back injury will cause him to sit often, in order to relieve stress on the back. Sitting and leg tremors also indicate pain. He should not be allowed to perch for a few months, or until he has recovered. Leg and back injuries are very common in roosters.
Because he is eating, drinking and mating, he has a good chance for recovery. However, this type of injury can take up to 6 months to fully repair. If this is a back injury the anti-inflammatory will not only help with pain, but it will reduce any swelling in tissues.

These are my thoughts on your roosters health issue. I hope I have been helpful.

View attachment 2702294
View attachment 2702304View attachment 2702305
This is so helpful. Thank you so much!

Can you get close enough to try a baby aspirin daily?
It's hard as they always want to drop it to the girls. It's an art form, lol.
Baby aspirin for a few days would maybe give you some info as to what it is, orthopedic injury vs disorder. My Big Boy totally went down at about 22 weeks, followed this advice (gathered from here of course) and within an couple days he was up and running. I did the baby aspirin for 7 days, 1/2 tab 2ce day. I also gave extra b vitamins
I am going to try to use the advice from the post above as well as your recommendation for baby aspirin. Thank you so much!

Thanks again for your responses. I do have low dose aspirin on hand. What would you guys recommend for dosing? For now I have gotten him into the coop pen while the chickens forage in the yard. This alone seems to be relaxing him a bit but I will work to get him

Greetings prairyd,

What to do?

Suggested Treatment:

View attachment 2702294
View attachment 2702304View attachment 2702305
I do have low dose aspirin on hand. What would you recommend for a dose?

Thanks again!

I dosed 1x81mg baby aspirin (orange flavored helped) - 1/2 tab in the morning and 1/2 evening.
If you look it up I think there are some who does a full tab 2ce day (2x 81mg). I did not.
I also dosed hypericum (St Johns Wart) along with the aspirin. I can tell you it worked great, but still don't know what was wrong w/ him a year later. I just know he rebounded fast!
Here's the link where I initially learned about it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/st-johns-wort.135247/

Most low dose aspirin comes in 81 mg. tablets. A chicken can safely have up to 125 mg. per day.

You can give him half a tablet (that's 40.5 mg.) two to three times a day. Just open his beak and pop the piece of aspirin at the back of his mouth with your finger. There are probably You Tube videos on the procedure if you aren't sure how to do it.

Always follow aspirin dosage with food to buffer the intestine and stomach.

Cautions:
Never give aspirin if there is active bleeding.
Do not administer – with any other pain medications.
Do not administer – with any worming medications.
Do not administer – with any steroid medications.
May react to some antibiotic medications.
Aspirin should be given short term.

I dice a grape and offer that to the chicken after the aspirin. A treat also rewards the chicken. After I give the meds, my chickens actually turn around when I set them on the ground, and wait for their treat. :D

Back
Top Bottom