Help with sick rooster

minimacka

Hatching
Oct 20, 2016
I have recently added a rooster to my flock and yesterday I noticed it wasn't looking too good.
Please can anyone help?

[/IMG]

Welcome to BYC,

I can't really see what is wrong with the rooster from the picture you posted, maybe you want to visit a veterinarian that lives close by or you can wait for a while and see if the rooster gets any better. The rooster might have a disease so you might want to isolate him from the rest of the flock and check your other chickens to see if they are behaving strangely.

Are there any small wounds on him? If so, it could be that he was picked on by the other chickens... If there was already a rooster in the flock, the new rooster would have ended up in a fight with the other rooster since they are very aggressive.

Good Luck and I hope your rooster gets better!

Julia

He is the first rooster we have had and hasn't been picked on by any other chickens. He has been happy and walking around for the first few days we had him and then started staying in one spot, tucking his head into the feathers and closing his eyes most of the time.
He has also stopped crowing completely

Hello there, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I am so glad you could join us! I agree with what CTKen had to say. Did you quarantine the rooster before adding him to the flock? I hope your big guy gets to feeling better! Enjoy BYC!

Please do post photos and full details at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures " thread. Birds usually hide signs of illness as long as possible - he sounds very ill

I've isolated him from the other chickens and keeping him in the laundry to keep him warm.
He sounds croaky when he breathes as well
I've posted in that thread but no replies as of yet

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom