Help! Wrong side up!

timetoroost

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2017
Sagle, Idaho
Hello everyone! First time incubator... and I thought I had read up on everything. DARN! Somehow I had in my mind that the eggs were supposed to be placed in the egg turner small side up. As tomorrow is day 18, I was rereading info to be sure I did lock down properly. I found that they were supposed to be small ends DOWN. ARGH! Should I turn them now? Have I ruined all my eggs?

Turning them over is only done during the first week. Just lay them horizontally at lock-down and keep an eye out for malposition hatching. Statistically I think they still have an 80% chance.

Hello everyone!  First time incubator... and I thought I had read up on everything.  DARN!  Somehow I had in my mind that the eggs were supposed to be placed in the egg turner small side up.  As tomorrow is day 18, I was rereading info to be sure I did lock down properly.  I found that they were supposed to be small ends DOWN.  ARGH!  Should I turn them now?  Have I ruined all my eggs?

It's not going to matter at this point, they're already developed and should be turned. Yes you are supposed to incubate small end down from day one. And if you are collecting and storing eggs for incubation they should be stored pointed end down.
I have a study saved somewhere on this topic I'll have to see if I can find it.
Edited to scratch the study, that was focused on the last 4 days on incubation only.

Last edited:
I was reminded that the first week we actually had them the right way. Then after candling at about 10 days is when I got it backwards and they went upside down. :( I hope they will be ok! Thanks for the hopeful words and the welcome!

I was reminded that the first week we actually had them the right way. Then after candling at about 10 days is when I got it backwards and they went upside down.
sad.png
I hope they will be ok! Thanks for the hopeful words and the welcome!
Don't fret too much and let us know how the hatch goes!

Good morning, everyone.
Update is sad..... on day 17 I candled, and of the 10 eggs, only 3 looked like they MIGHT be hiding a baby chick inside. The other 7 had the blood rings. Today is day 22 and no signs of life. I will give them another 2 days, but I am not hopeful. I don't think it was the upside down issue. I found out that the neighbor I got the eggs from has 16 hens and 1 rooster. I am thinking this is more a problem of fertility? Any other thoughts? Temps and humidity seem to have been within norms and fairly stable.

Good morning, everyone.
Update is sad..... on day 17 I candled, and of the 10 eggs, only 3 looked like they MIGHT be hiding a baby chick inside. The other 7 had the blood rings. Today is day 22 and no signs of life. I will give them another 2 days, but I am not hopeful. I don't think it was the upside down issue. I found out that the neighbor I got the eggs from has 16 hens and 1 rooster. I am thinking this is more a problem of fertility? Any other thoughts? Temps and humidity seem to have been within norms and fairly stable.
So sorry to hear it! I'd recommend getting hatching eggs from someone who can A) show you the parents on site B) show you that they've had success hatching their eggs themselves.

Good morning, everyone.
Update is sad..... on day 17 I candled, and of the 10 eggs, only 3 looked like they MIGHT be hiding a baby chick inside.  The other 7 had the blood rings.  Today is day 22 and no signs of life.  I will give them another 2 days, but I am not hopeful.  I don't think it was the upside down issue.  I found out that the neighbor I got the eggs from has 16 hens and 1 rooster.  I am thinking this is more a problem of fertility?   Any other thoughts?  Temps and humidity seem to have been within norms and fairly stable.

Sorry to hear this. If the other 7 has blood rings, it is not an issue of fertility. Blood rings denote development that quite. And 16 to one is a good ratio. A good roo can easily cover that. My standards are one roo to 25 girls and almost perfect fertility. It would come down to storage, health of layer flock, temps or humidity. The three you think are developed, is the majority of the egg, excluding the air cell dark?

Back
Top Bottom