HELP

bmartin85

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2015
I have 3 new girls that are obsessed with eating hay out the nesting boxes, they are not laying yet, not sure what to do, I just don't want them stopped up or to die, the hay is from home depot.

Chickens that do not have access to green grass and such will eat hay. If your pen/run is grass free try picking a handful of fresh grass from your lawn every day and giving it to them instead.

I try to supplement their diet with left over chopped lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, mustard greens, etc. Just about anything from the produce dept. is good for them and they love me for it! Sometimes you can ask your local grocery store for what they throw out and they may give it to you. Wilted is okay for them to eat as long as it's not mold or spoiled.

I have 3 new girls that are obsessed with eating hay out the nesting boxes, they are not laying yet, not sure what to do, I just don't want them stopped up or to die, the hay is from home depot.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, what do you feed them now? Have you thought about fermented feed, FF? There is a thread on BYC that explains how to do it.. The girl's love it.. % 30 more nutrition & it doubles in size.. What breeds do you have?

I am feeding them layer pellets, they enjoy it, I also throw scratch out for them and pull some grads everyday and put in the run due to them not being free range, I have 3 red sex links 2 barnevelders and 1 Silver laced wyandotte, the sex links are about 5 weeks younger than the others and so far only 1 barnevelder is laying, but the others should be soon. I will DEF look into the fermented food, being new to this I'm learning a lot and love yalls feedback

well then if they are getting the fresh green stuff,, I would agree with HeritageGoose,,, they are most likely bored,,, I call it chicken mischief,, my birds get antsy like that , digging in nests, eating nesting material, etc, in the winter when they don't get to go outside as much

Back
Top Bottom