Help!!!

slivercove

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 3, 2013
I have a chick that is still alive...but s/he is kinda shrink wrapped....what can I do to help?

You will have to help it out of the shell. Slowly break off pieces of the TOP of the shell and gently push away the membrane. It's important for the chick to push out of the bottom part of the shell on it's own. Make sure the chick doesn't get chilled during the process and put the chick on a half shell back in the incubator.

How? Im afraid to do it...if there is a link or something, that would help me so much

Ok it will need help getting out that's just like the inner like skin type stuff that u see when u crack open an egg so if u have any tweezers just break small pieces of he she'll away but be carful not to get those bigger veins those are the main ones and can kill the chick if the bleesing is out off control from my experience and u want to keep it moist

How long has it been since the egg first pipped? A chick can take 12 to 24 hours to absorb the yolk and for the blood vessels to dry. If it has been over 18 hours I would go for it. Just work carefully with a pair of tweezers and stop if you see much fresh blood. Just remember, you might be afraid but the chick will die if you don't try. You gotta do what you gotta do! I've helped dozens of them over the years and it usually works out fine. Good luck

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom