HELP

wetzelbuilt

Songster
Feb 9, 2017
Northwest Ohio
My 1hen has always had a poppy butt Sunday it was really nasty so I soaked her butt in warm water and dried her she was very tired and when I put her down she needed help getting off her side onto her feet. I noticed her comb is a dark red. I gave her freshwater and took her in for the night this morning when I went out and checked on her she was still in the same spot and had drank all the water in the bowl I refilled the bowl and went to work. When I got home she was still sitting in the same spot in front of the water bowl. I picked her up and separated her from the others she is currently in her own bed separated from the others I also noticed her comb is starting to collapse in the very front. I have given her fresh water and food and also some soft pieces of bread as I don't think she's been eating. What else can I do for her? Does anybody know why she's looks this way??

She also had some diarrhea yesterday just seems very weak

How old is she, and has she been laying eggs? Can you try feeding her some chopped scrambled egg, and put a lot of water in a small bowl of chicken feed? A tespoonful of plain unsweetened yogurt daily may help with her diarrhea. Can you check her crop to see if it is empty, full, soft, firm, or puffy? Feel of her breast area by lifting her to check if she has lost weight. Also, look over for lice or mites, especially around her vent. If you have some electrolytes to put in her water, that would be great.

Last edited:
I believe she is either 2 or 2 1/2 years old. Not sure if she has been laying or not I have a total of 10 all red sexlinks. I was getting 9 eggs a day but it has dropped to 8 or less depending on the day. I will try to feed her some scrambled eggs. How do I check her crop Totally new to this chicken stuff as we got these given to us

OK I think I located her crop it feels soft and squishy like a bunch of cotton balls. She is eating the scrambled egg slowly.is it possible she was just weak from the diarrhea?

It could be that she is just weak, but she may have a problem with her crop which could be a fungal infection. Check her crop again in the morning before she has eaten to see if it has emptied overnight. After eating so late in the evening, it may take 10-12 hours for it to empty. Hens her age and older can sometimes suffer from internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis, where they won't lay eggs, and may loss weight or become swollen in the lower belly. They may have runny poops and have problems walkiing, preferring to sit or oie down.

Her crop is empty this morning. Is there anything I can do for a fungal infection or internal laying? She is for sure having trouble walking but seems OK to stand

If her crop is empty, that is a good sign that she doesn't have a fungal infection. Get the yogurt for her and continue to get her to eat the wet food, eggs, canned tuna in water, chopped liver, or whatever she likes to eat if it is nutritious. Plain old chicken feed with water is best for 90% of her diet. Make sure she is drinking clean water, changed daily. If she has internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis, there is not much you can do except to keep her comfortable.

Is it cruel to just cull her? And would she be safe to eat?? We don't have the funds for vet treatment especially if its not going to cure the problems.

Back
Top Bottom