HELP!

aCoolChick

Songster
6 Years
May 3, 2016
I need some advice, fast! I have a hen who has been off feed for two days, has not been "talking," yesterday drank a lot of water.
Today I tried to examine her in my lap, and she has a very hot head, and pale reddish-gray comb, and a pea-sized round nodule in her neck just behind her throat (quite a way above her crop). Without eating, her crop feels almost empty. The nodule in her throat as I said, is the size of a small pea, firm, movable (I can push it up and down her throat for an inch or so, but I cannot get her to cough it up or swallow it. Other than the feverishness, and the lack of eating, she doesn't seem to be in too much distress, but I suspect her throat is really sore. Can some one please suggest what this might be? Can it be a symptom of the bird flu? I don't know for sure, but I intuit that the nodule in her throat is something growing there -- as opposed to something stuck. She will not let me open her beak to see down her throat. Please help.

I need some advice, fast! I have a hen who has been off feed for two days, has not been "talking," yesterday drank a lot of water.
Today I tried to examine her in my lap, and she has a very hot head, and pale reddish-gray comb, and a pea-sized round nodule in her neck just behind her throat (quite a way above her crop). Without eating, her crop feels almost empty. The nodule in her throat as I said, is the size of a small pea, firm, movable (I can push it up and down her throat for an inch or so, but I cannot get her to cough it up or swallow it. Other than the feverishness, and the lack of eating, she doesn't seem to be in too much distress, but I suspect her throat is really sore. Can some one please suggest what this might be? Can it be a symptom of the bird flu? I don't know for sure, but I intuit that the nodule in her throat is something growing there -- as opposed to something stuck. She will not let me open her beak to see down her throat. Please help.
Do you have photos of her?

It would be a good idea to get a look inside her beak.

This article along with the photos may be helpful in opening her beak.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Can you post a picture of her?
Um ... I can try ... I live alone, and I don't know how I can hold the chicken, get her beak open and hold it open, and handle my phone camera all at the same time! I have not examined her today, but she "talked" this morning for the first time in two days, and immediately began to eat, so maybe the poking around I did last evening did some good. To be continued. Thanks for the rapid reply!

Update: Topaz, the hen above, has had her ups and downs, but she is still kicking. The ball in her throat has diminished in size, and she is eating more. She did lose quite a bit of weight -- her breastbone was getting rather sharp -- but she is now putting on weight. Both my hens free-range, so I think she is able to get most of what she needs by foraging (I have a heavily overgrown double yard). I give them lots of treats at night before roosting too -- commercial food mixed with whole grains (cut oats, millet) and fruit (small chunks of banana, peach, tomato, grapes). They also have a mix available, along with fresh water, all day every day, as well. Still crossing my fingers.

Back
Top Bottom