Help!!

kreidepriinnz

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2022
One of my chickens had this weird foam in her eye, the other was really swollen, and had a sort of mucus discharge coming out of it when i wiped it off with a clean cloth and room temp water. it looks scabby around her eye, and i thought it was poop at first which really concerned me. i seperated her from my others immediately and she was worse in the morning. both of her eyes are swollen / crusted shut. she doesnt seem to have any problems, she’s still eating / drinking to the best of her ability (yk, not being able to see and all) and active. she doesnt seem lethargic or sickly at all. both her eyes looked like this yesterday morning. help!!

Attachments

• C46C68AD-CDE2-44D7-AE66-49F3F52BB90E.jpeg
    C46C68AD-CDE2-44D7-AE66-49F3F52BB90E.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 12
How long does she has it? Not sure but I know this; Like Humans Chicks can have little illnesses under the feathers as well. Most of the time nothing serious.
Depending on the way you farm and hold chickens; It never hurts to give a chick who is really sick some antibiotics. Sick is sick. if you want to go organic; There is a website here " Organic Antibiotics " what is a good start.
Willow water, or lots of willow tree leaves can help to give some natural relief for your chicken. The wood part of the willow tree holds natural aspirin and can work as anti inflammatory. Some people make a solution of over the counter 81 mg aspirin with water, but I never tried that.
I hope it's not bird flu, or the chicken version of "pink eye". Be careful not to infect your other chickens with whatever it is...

Good luck with it...

How long does she has it? Not sure but I know this; Like Humans Chicks can have little illnesses under the feathers as well. Most of the time nothing serious.
Depending on the way you farm and hold chickens; It never hurts to give a chick who is really sick some antibiotics. Sick is sick. if you want to go organic; There is a website here " Organic Antibiotics " what is a good start.
Willow water, or lots of willow tree leaves can help to give some natural relief for your chicken. The wood part of the willow tree holds natural aspirin and can work as anti inflammatory. Some people make a solution of over the counter 81 mg aspirin with water, but I never tried that.
I hope it's not bird flu, or the chicken version of "pink eye". Be careful not to infect your other chickens with whatever it is...

Good luck with it...
she’s only had it a couple days. i gave her some of the stuff i had on hand, mostly vitamins and some general health antibiotics ?
i checked her yesterday and one of her eyes was open, which was an improvement. she’s eating and drinking fine still, which is really relieving but not typical of a sick chicken. do you think it could be injuries from another hen? she is younger and relatively new to the flock … but she was introduced a couple months ago now. i didnt think there would still be ‘bullying’, yknow?

Back
Top Bottom