Help!

ToniGA

In the Brooder
Dec 14, 2023
I have 4 hens and all has been well up until now. I have a hen who wants to attack me when I'm in the backyard (Peaches). She has bit my hand and leg drawing blood. She is the smallest hen I have. We got the hens as chicks and they have turned into pets. My 13 year old daughter carries them around the yard daily so its not like they're not used to being held. I also hold them and talk to them. Why all the sudden has Peaches turned on me? I understand the pecking order and have read several posts about hens being broody when laying, but why would she take a disliking to me?

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

You don't have a rooster, correct? Sometimes in all hen flocks one hen will take the spot of guardian and become aggressive. My first flock I had a Black Australorp hen do just as your gal is doing, when she bit, she drew my blood. She attacked the other hens too eventually, ripping combs. I don't think there is a solution other than adding a rooster, he won't tolerate aggression like this. I had to cage my gal, used pinless peepers on her, she stayed aggressive all her life. Rehoming her, possibly isolation for a while may be the answer for your situation. So sorry. ❤

:welcome She may very well regard you as a member of the flock and is trying to subordinate you. I would not let her get away with this behavior. Press her to the ground, scoop her up in a fishing net and carry her around, let her know that you are the boss. Good luck in modifying her behavior.

:welcome She may very well regard you as a member of the flock and is trying to subordinate you. I would not let her get away with this behavior. Press her to the ground, scoop her up in a fishing net and carry her around, let her know that you are the boss. Good luck in modifying her behavior.
Hmm, okay. Good idea!

Thank you. I don't have a roo. I thought of rehoming her but Peaches is my daughters favorite chicken and would break her heart. So, if i added a roo this behavior will stop?
Probably, but some roosters can be aggressive too. I see you started another New Members thread. I am going to move this thread to our Managing Your Flock forum where you can get more opinions on this. 😊

Back
Top Bottom