To Keep or not to Keep a Rooster, That is the question.

This is normal, for a young cockerel still learning. Not easy to see, for all of that. If you do keep him, it will likely even out in time. The teenage learning period is always hard for young cockerels, and those around them.

If you have no interest in hatching and don't need him to protect your hens, no reason to keep him.
I agree, he’s learning. Give him a chance.

Yeah. I can handle negative behavior toward myself, but I have taken out several that were mean to the hens. That's a deal breaker.

Roosters are not recommended for first time chicken owners. They present more challenges and dealing with those requires more experience and knowledge. If you don't have a pressing need to keep a rooster, then don't. Just because you ended up with one doesn't mean you have to keep him. Adolescents are clumsy, yes, but not all of them do actual serious damage, and it sounds like yours is doing damage. It's not fair to the hens to put them through that just because your one rooster happens to be clumsy. In your position, I'd get rid of him. Look up chicken processing/dispatching methods and decide which, if any, you'd be comfortable doing yourself. Or ask around if there's somebody in your area who'd do it for you.

If it was me I would get rid of him. There is no need to put up when a rooster that is less than " perfect" because there are so many roosters out there and a lot of then are good and won't ever cause problems. I never keep a rooster that has ever caused a problem. I just get rid of it and replace it with a good one. Also if you want to ever hatch eggs you wouldn't want to pass on bad genetics to the new chicks.

Back
Top Bottom