1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

The neverending coop project. *Update - IT'S DONE!!!!!!*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Happy Chooks, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging Staff Member Premium Member 9 Years

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    First, they story. My DH decided that I need to build this new coop for my hobby. He wants me to realize it's not just as easy as saying "build me _____ ". So the project began. He has helped me with design and shown me what needs to be done, but I have done the majority of the work. He is helping me a little more now, because he says I'll never get it done at the rate I'm going. (so I'm really slow, I've never done this before! Do you know how aggravating it is to work 1 1/2 hours on something and he comes in and does the other side in 15 minutes? [​IMG] )

So, his objective has been reached. Building is a pain in the rear and VERY, VERY slow. Maybe by Christmas it will be done. Then I gotta build the runs! [​IMG]

Anyhow, here is the progress so far. It's 8X12 and I will split 1/3 lengthwise for breeding/broody/raising babies. The remaining 2/3 will be for the flock.

The floor framing:
    [​IMG]

Wall framing complete:

[​IMG]

Roof framing complete:
    [​IMG]

Close up of roof framing:
    [​IMG]

And where I am currently:
    [​IMG]
    Ventilation runs at roof line on this side and the opposite side. They will be covered with hardware cloth on the inside:
    [​IMG]
    Looking in from the doorway:
    [​IMG]
    Looking back from the window:
    [​IMG]
    Showing the roof sheeting. I HATE heights, so this was really difficult for me.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Great job Kelly! You go girl! [​IMG]

3. hannalice

hannalice In the Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Vermont
    I'll echo The Warden: You go girl! I'm actually kind of jealous... imagine the sense of accomplishment when you're done! That looks great![​IMG]

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

You Go Girl! [​IMG]

While my DH will help me, with him working out of town, I have to do much of the building stuff myself also. Your looks fantastic! Wish I was closer, I would help ya out.

Are you going to insulate? (yes, yes?) [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't know if I'll insulate it or not. I guess I'll see when I get to that point. My original coop is not insulated and they do fine. We do get snow here, but it usually doesn't last long. Heat is more of an issue than cold. Except this winter when we got this:
    [​IMG]

Next up on the new coop is tar paper the walls and put up trim and windows. Then siding.

6. KybraBoss

KybraBoss In the Brooder

Definately well constructed.
    I don't think our house was built that solidly

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Thanks for the compliment. My husband built our house, garage, wood shed, well house, garden shed (also 8X12) and a kids fort.

8. SeaHen

SeaHen Songster 9 Years

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    I love it! It's just what I want. Where in N. Cali are you? Your property reminds me of my grandparents' place in Shingletown.

9. KSue

KSue In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2010
    Old Fort
    Well heck yeah! [​IMG]

That's what I'm talking about! It looks great! I should have hired YOU to help me with my coop instead of the carpenter! (Well, except for the fact that you are all the way across country, lol!). See story "Day 4 on Coop, A Woman's Adventure". Anyways, keep up the good work!

Karen
    Old Fort, NC

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: