Happy Chooks

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Northern CA
My Coop
My Coop
First, they story. My DH decided that I need to build this new coop for my hobby. He wants me to realize it's not just as easy as saying "build me _____ ". So the project began. He has helped me with design and shown me what needs to be done, but I have done the majority of the work. He is helping me a little more now, because he says I'll never get it done at the rate I'm going. (so I'm really slow, I've never done this before! Do you know how aggravating it is to work 1 1/2 hours on something and he comes in and does the other side in 15 minutes?
barnie.gif
)

So, his objective has been reached. Building is a pain in the rear and VERY, VERY slow. Maybe by Christmas it will be done. Then I gotta build the runs!
he.gif

Anyhow, here is the progress so far. It's 8X12 and I will split 1/3 lengthwise for breeding/broody/raising babies. The remaining 2/3 will be for the flock.

The floor framing:
SDC10182.jpg

Wall framing complete:

SDC10372.jpg

Roof framing complete:
SDC10475.jpg

Close up of roof framing:
SDC10474.jpg

And where I am currently:
IMG_3065.jpg

Ventilation runs at roof line on this side and the opposite side. They will be covered with hardware cloth on the inside:
IMG_3064.jpg

Looking in from the doorway:
IMG_3062.jpg

Looking back from the window:
IMG_3063.jpg

Showing the roof sheeting. I HATE heights, so this was really difficult for me.
IMG_3061.jpg

Last edited:
I'll echo The Warden: You go girl! I'm actually kind of jealous... imagine the sense of accomplishment when you're done! That looks great!
clap.gif

You Go Girl!
ya.gif

While my DH will help me, with him working out of town, I have to do much of the building stuff myself also. Your looks fantastic! Wish I was closer, I would help ya out.

Are you going to insulate? (yes, yes?)
big_smile.png

I don't know if I'll insulate it or not. I guess I'll see when I get to that point. My original coop is not insulated and they do fine. We do get snow here, but it usually doesn't last long. Heat is more of an issue than cold. Except this winter when we got this:
IMG_2135.jpg

Next up on the new coop is tar paper the walls and put up trim and windows. Then siding.

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment. My husband built our house, garage, wood shed, well house, garden shed (also 8X12) and a kids fort.

Well heck yeah!
clap.gif

That's what I'm talking about! It looks great! I should have hired YOU to help me with my coop instead of the carpenter! (Well, except for the fact that you are all the way across country, lol!). See story "Day 4 on Coop, A Woman's Adventure". Anyways, keep up the good work!

Karen
Old Fort, NC

Back
Top Bottom