Help

Why do you care where they sleep? How do you know that 15 minutes after you put them on the roosts, they don't head back down? Let them sleep where they want. I have some who go into the rafters, two that stay on a window ledge and three who sleep on top of the metal garbage can that holds their feed. Let them stay where they're comfortable.

Why do you care where they sleep? How do you know that 15 minutes after you put them on the roosts, they don't head back down? Let them sleep where they want. I have some who go into the rafters, two that stay on a window ledge and three who sleep on top of the metal garbage can that holds their feed. Let them stay where they're comfortable.
As long as they are safe where they are, I agree. I never placed mine on a roost, just placed in the coop when I locked them in.

I agree - I don't care where or how they roost as long as they are SAFE. When my older hens were free range because I had my pullets in the tractor and the big coop wasn't finished yet, I lost three of them to predators - the last was my EE who laid beautiful blue eggs. So, that being said, they all stay in their respective coops right now for safety's sake.

Here my coop

Last edited:
You have a nice coop! I think one of them will get adventurous and fly up there, then the rest will follow suit. Mine started mingling in my new coop this weekend, and the newbies are up and roosting in the new coop along with the older girls. They follow suit. It will only take one to fly up and roost and the others will do it too.

If you are already doing that, I would just leave them alone. I did not have to teach mine to roost. They did it when they were ready to roost. Yours will too. It's a lot of work taking care of chickens - don't add another chore that's not necessary if you don't have to!

I think I misunderstood your question. Did you mean want them to go into the enclosed coop at night?

If so, and if it is because your run is not very secure from predators, I would keep them in the coop at all times, except when I'm around, outside, on guard duty. If you have raccoons, coyotes, neighbors' dogs, etc. in your area, I would also suggest using hardware cloth, not chicken wire, for your run's walls. Bury the hardware cloth 8-10" underground as well, and add some lumber at ground level to tie it all together. I can't tell from your pictures if you have the chicken wire secured at ground level, but beasts will dig to get at your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom