helpful tips for showing chickens?

CrazyChickLady7

Songster
May 18, 2015
This isn't really for an online show, but I didn't know where else to put it.

So I started showing birds last year. So far I've only dont it once, but it wasn't really a serious show. I'm hoping to get much more involved this year. Does anybody have an helpful tips, know equipment I should have, or past experience they could explain? Any advice would be great.

1. Eye contact with judge, address as ma'am or sir
2. Oil. I put oil (teen weeny bit..too much and its greesy) on my birds combs, wattles, and their feet. This brings out the colors.
3. Wash birds about 2-3 days in advance. This will get rid of any dirt or grime that is on your bird. Give the bath to them in advance so the chickens have time regaining their oil and natural sheen.
4. Check the APA standards for your breed. This will help you choose the best show quality bird for a much better chance to place or win.
5. Pluck any broken feathers out. And smooth any rough feathers.

(I show my birds too.
wink.png
)

Thanks. I use coconut oil on mine fairly often. I am using some jubilee orpingtons this year. So hopefully they do well.

Jubilees are not a recognized breed of the American poultry association. Only the English one. I'm going to have to show a different breed until they are.

APA really needs to up their approving. I can't show my Bielefelders or Sweetgrass turkeys. And those breeds have been around for quite some time. Absolutely NO excuse why they aren't accepted yet. Especially the jubilee coloring. That isn't new! C'mon APA.

Back
Top Bottom