Helping a goose with hypothermia

The duck father_

Songster
Jan 11, 2022
My white Chinese goose got out last night, he had a heat lamp and wind blocks but I guess he never went into them. What's the best I can do to help him? I got him wrapped up in warm towels in a bath. His temperature was only about 90F when I got him in, and he was completely blue. It's reading at about 100F now.
He's regaining color but still isn't doing well.
PXL_20221112_173840185.jpg

I would also post on the geese forum here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/geese.47/

I know nothing about anything but chickens, but I would get him wrapped in warm towels once he is stable, and keep heat on in the bathroom until after he is thoroughly dry. It would be best to keep him inside overnight. Those ceramic heaters will heat a room well. You would want it about 80 degrees until he is dry, then turn it down later.

Feed the goose if it's able to eat, the process of digesting food creates internal heat which extends throughout the body.
Thanks! I got him to eat. He's doing much better now. I got him stabilized enough to blow dry. He's able to stand now and his legs are more orange but he cannot fully open his wings. I warmed up the bathroom also. I'll be keeping a close eye on him

Attachments

• PXL_20221112_180955885.jpg
    PXL_20221112_180955885.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom