Hen’s Ear Lobe Very Swollen- Not Sensitive, Slightly Warm

MyFlockIsMyLife

Chirping
Apr 8, 2024
I noticed this afternoon that my hen, Thundercloud, has a swollen ear lobe. She is still eating and drinking fine. Doesn’t appear to be sensitive to touch, and her ear looks okay as far as I know. The swollen area seems slightly warm (almost same temp) compared to reg lobe- we are in AZ and it’s 70°. Her other lobe looks normal. They are free range, except we lock them in the coop at night for safety. Coop has pine pellets with pine shavings on top. I don’t know if I can buy some VetRX at the pet supply store or if she will need more care. Also how to know if it’s sinus related, a respiratory issue, or what I don’t know. I really don’t want to lose her, or for her to be in pain, or unwell. I hope the pics are okay she’s in the shade.
image.jpg
IMG_6530.jpeg
IMG_6532.jpeg

Hello, and Welcome to BYC! I've never dealt with a swollen ear before, but everything I've seen on here says to monitor and check for mites, epically in and around her ears. I would also do a search on this site for swollen ears and see if you can't turn anything else up.

Hello, and Welcome to BYC! I've never dealt with a swollen ear before, but everything I've seen on here says to monitor and check for mites, epically in and around her ears. I would also do a search on this site for swollen ears and see if you can't turn anything else up.
Thank you so much for your advice and guidance. Currently making my way thru posts related to swollen ear lobes and ears/ear lobes. Quite a bit of info but I’m getting thru it!

Let me call in some experts @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock.

Can you see any scratches, bites, scabs of any sort on the ear lobe? Also, have you checked the ear canal?
Update and Reply to Alinas:

update on my hen. Her ear canals are totally clear, no mites, no pus, or sign of infection, but may be a puncture wound on the ear lobe- I’m guessing a bite of some kind? Here’s a better pic of the lobe and what I think is the puncture area (it’s that little black dot towards the bottom):
IMG_6533.jpeg

Update and Reply to Alinas:

update on my hen. Her ear canals are totally clear, no mites, no pus, or sign of infection, but may be a puncture wound on the ear lobe- I’m guessing a bite of some kind? Here’s a better pic of the lobe and what I think is the puncture area (it’s that little black dot towards the bottom):View attachment 3795820
I’m wondering if she has a little infection/abscess going on - that could the point of entry. Is the swollen lobe firm or squishy? Firm may indicate pus (chicken pus is hard like cheese) and squishy might indicate something more like an insect bite.

As far as treatment, hoping an expert can chime in and give better advice than I could.

Any wheezing/bubbles/discharge from the nose or eyes?

I’m wondering if she has a little infection/abscess going on - that could the point of entry. Is the swollen lobe firm or squishy? Firm may indicate pus (chicken pus is hard like cheese) and squishy might indicate something more like an insect bite.

As far as treatment, hoping an expert can chime in and give better advice than I could.

Any wheezing/bubbles/discharge from the nose or eyes?
It was not hard at all- definitely squishy and NOT firm. No wheezing, no weird smells, no discharge, or bubbling from either nose, beak, or eyes. Here’s a closer pic of her eye, beak, and nose.
IMG_6536.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom