Hen’s first time hatching eggs, How to prepare for the best outcome?

#3 hatched early this morning! All 3 happy and healthy, Mama Tate is doing a fantastic job keeping her babies warm and safe. :love
IMG_2407.jpeg

Hi!

Adorable chicks! Thanks for posting this thread, I have a broody hen and am thinking of just letting her do her thing, but can't decide if she should be separated or just left in the coop.
Did you keep your broody hen in the same coop as the other hens? How did the other chickens react to the chicks? How have things gone this week?

Hi!

Adorable chicks! Thanks for posting this thread, I have a broody hen and am thinking of just letting her do her thing, but can't decide if she should be separated or just left in the coop.
Did you keep your broody hen in the same coop as the other hens? How did the other chickens react to the chicks? How have things gone this week?
Thank you! This is my first time having a broody hen hatch out eggs, so others with more experience may give better info… I left my hen in the coop, completely unseparated from the other chickens. She is my “alpha” hen though, so it may depend on where your broody hen sits in the pecking order, not sure.

We haven’t had any problems, the other chickens now ignore the babies. One pecked at a chick and quickly got corrected by mama hen. I might be lucky though, I have heard it can go either way.

They are doing better than I expected and it is such a relief not to have to worry about them.

Attachments

• IMG_2562.jpeg
    IMG_2562.jpeg
    523.2 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom