Hen acting egg bound

yjhb03

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 7, 2014
But, I can't feel an egg in there! When I got home from work today, she looked droopy, and wasn't interacting with anyone, even me. She never, ever misses a meal, and her crop is empty. She was her normal self yesterday, nothing out of the ordinary, so this is very sudden. I feel her pelvic bones, but I can't feel an egg-like shape in there. I've been treating it as egg bound, but did give her a cc of penicillin in her thigh, just to be sure. Gave her some liquid calcium too, and actually used vegetable oil on her cloaca before accidentally mixing up my droppers and feeding vegetable oil to her too. Lol! I gave her two 30+ minute epsom salt soaks and kept her in a warm, moist place for 2+ hours now, and nothing. I very slowly and gently stuck my finger up in to her cloaca, and all she did was poop on my finger. Couldn't feel an egg, and I was in there up to my second knuckle. This is a sweet, friendly, vivacious chicken, who lays an egg a day. IDK if she laid today or not, I was at work and my 7 y/o daughter collects the eggs when she gets off the bus.
What could this be?

I should add here that this is our only chicken who is bold enough to strut in to our house if we leave the door open, and she beats up the cat before eating his dry cat food on occasion, the urinary tract formula food. She got in to the wet cat food yesterday we had out for our cat too, just a few beakfuls before I shooed her out.

Back
Top Bottom