Hen acting strangley

lothalvalleyfarm

Chirping
Apr 15, 2023
Olympia, WA
20230806_152221.jpg
One of my 2 barred rock hens started acting strangely this afternoon. I found her in the coop beside the nesting area panting, sitting loosely and she did 2 little poops. She has laid an egg today, it was in the nesting area with my other hen's egg. I moved her out of the coop and back into the run to test if she was broody and she hasn't gone back in. She keeps sitting in corners in their dust bath holes and just panting and acting hot.

It's 75 and breezey here, a bit humid but I'd expect this sort of behavior at 90 plus degrees. My other hen is acting normally. I spritzed her a bit with a water bottle to see if that would cool her down, no change except running away from me as she usually would. She's still very mobile if she wants to be and she ate and drank this morning. About 14 months old. Any ideas what could be going on with her?

I would offer some Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes, and make sure that she is taking fluids. Offer some irresistible mushy wet feed, scrambled egg or tuna, even ground meat to make sure that she has not been kept from food or is injured. Do you have a rooster? Human B complex vitamins 1/2 tablet daily would be good to start, or any chicken vitamin that contains riboflavin could be substituted. Can she stand all the way up, and walk, or just sit on her hocks? I would watch this hen especially, in case she is having a reproductive issue or suffering from injury or illness.

I would offer some Poultry NutriDrench or electrolytes, and make sure that she is taking fluids. Offer some irresistible mushy wet feed, scrambled egg or tuna, even ground meat to make sure that she has not been kept from food or is injured. Do you have a rooster? Human B complex vitamins 1/2 tablet daily would be good to start, or any chicken vitamin that contains riboflavin could be substituted. Can she stand all the way up, and walk, or just sit on her hocks? I would watch this hen especially, in case she is having a reproductive issue or suffering from injury or illness.
No access to a rooster, just the 2 girls living together. She was able to move around well earlier.

I would prevent her from jumping up and down from a roost.Limit her activity, so that she doesn’t over do it. Get the B complex started soon. Riboflavin B2 deficiency can make them sit or walk on their hocks. I would look at her legs in the morning for any green bruising, redness, or swelling, and at the foot pads for any scabs or cuts.

She's walking around more than earlier but not as much as normal. She's at least pecking at stuff and nibbling at offered greenery. Walking with her tail down sometimes. Legs looked OK, chest and where I'd think the crop would be felt squishy a bit. Her butt is super poopy but they look like normal poops stuck to the feathers and her vent is clear. Cleaned up what I could.

I realize she laid an egg today, but I'd be inclined to get extra Calcium into her for a few days. Give 1 Calcium Citrate with D3 tablet once daily.
Work on hydration and offer her the wet mushy feed as suggested.

Do check the crop to make sure it's emptying overnight.

I realize she laid an egg today, but I'd be inclined to get extra Calcium into her for a few days. Give 1 Calcium Citrate with D3 tablet once daily.
Work on hydration and offer her the wet mushy feed as suggested.

Do check the crop to make sure it's emptying overnight.
I think it was empty when I checked a bit ago, she was drinking a fair amount and came running for the treat bucket and checked it all out, didn't eat anything though.

Back
Top Bottom